I am so excited about this!
Last week, I read on Harry Nowell’s blog that he is putting together a celebrity photo contest in support of the Ottawa Food Bank. The celebrities won’t be IN the photos, however; they’ll be TAKING the photos, on the theme of “Why I love Ottawa/Gatineau.” The photos will be auctioned off and all proceeds will go to the Ottawa Food Bank. Wonderful idea, eh?
Here’s the list of Ottawa media and celebrity participants:
Sandy Sharkey (co-host, Cub and Company, 839 BOB FM)
Stuntman Stu (Majic 100 Radio Host)
Jim Watson (Ottawa Mayor)
David Chernushenko (Ottawa City Councillor)
Peter Simpson (Arts-editor-at-large for The Ottawa Citizen)
Graham Richardson (CTV News Anchor)
Alan Neal (Host of All In A Day, CBC Radio One)
Ian Black (Climatologist, CBC News Ottawa)
Sarah Brown (Ottawa Magazine Editor)
Jane Corbett (Ottawa Magazine Art Director)
Trevor Greenway (reporter – Low Down to Hull and Back News)
Andrea Tomkins (Blogger)
Peter Tilley (Executive Director – Ottawa Food Bank)
And – me!!!!!
Harry opened the contest to two members of the non-media, non-celebrity public, and I am one of the lucky two! How fun is that? The other is Allison Burnett, who is getting her whole digital marketing class to participate. Doesn’t this just keep getting better and better?
And so if Allison can rally her students, I think it’s totally fair that I rally the bloggy peeps for inspiration. I need your ideas, Ottawa lovers! If you could choose one idea, one subject, one place or one theme that best exemplifies why YOU love Ottawa, what would it be? Would you go for the iconic shot? The Peace Tower, the Canal, the Market? I might have taken a shot or two of the Parliament Buildings in my time!
Okay, so we’re taking photos in the next two weeks, so tulips are out, but how about this for an iconic Ottawa shot?
That’s the ultimate Ottawa postcard, right? But what about something a little further afield – Little Italy, Elgin Street, the Market, Dow’s Lake?
There’s so much more to Ottawa, though. Landsdowne Park, the Experimental Farm, and Mooney’s Bay. Centretown, Hintonburg, the Glebe, Westboro, not to mention the outlying suburbs, everything from Cumberland to Carp (to Manotick!) and all stations in between. And the other side of the river, too – those gorgeous Gatineau mountains full of snowy trails? Or something more subtle? Maybe even something rural, as we actually have more rural than urban land within the city boundaries.
Or a completely different perspective?
What about a portrait of someone? Who would represent Ottawa to you? Or what about a concept, like national pride or healthy living or family? You can see the problem here, right? The picture-taking is the easy part, it’s the choosing the subject that’s going to keep me up nights trying to decide!!
Help me focus (ha, I slay me!), bloggy peeps! If you could take a photo (or suggest a place or a theme) that best captures your love for Ottawa, how would you do it?
Related posts (automatically generated):
- Photo auction finalé and my traitorous date So can you stand just ONE more post about the Why I Love Ottawa/Gatineau photo contest? Because I really want to tell you how it all came out! The auction was, as I may have mentioned, last Saturday at Harry’s OttawaStudioWorks studio. I’d hoped Beloved and I could attend together...
- Come and play along with the I Love Ottawa/Gatineau photo contest! I mentioned last week that I’ve been invited to participate in a fun new contest to help raise money for the Ottawa Food Bank. The launch event was this morning. It was a horrible morning outside (sleet and howling winds that turned into a blizzard while we were there!) but...
- Fun Ottawa event for a great cause: Celebrity photo auction to support the Ottawa Food Bank Okay, you’ve heard me talking about it for weeks. Now’s your chance to get in on the action! This Saturday, February 23, drop by Harry Nowell’s downtown studio to place YOUR bid in the 2013 media/celebrity “Why I Love Ottawa/Gatinea” photo auction! You might remember I spent a cold week...
- On vaccinations IMHO, this article from Wired magazine should be required reading for anyone with concerns about any kind of vaccination, including the H1N1 shot. Long, but informative. (FWIW, we’re going on Wednesday to get our H1N1 shots. I am completely and utterly convinced it’s the right thing to do.)...
- Guest blogging and a Canadian Family giveaway I am so excited! First of all, I am excited because I have a guest blog post up at Canadian Family magazine’s Family Jewels blog today. I’m going to be blogging there all week! I’m writing a series called “The Family Photographer” with tips, tricks and thoughts about how to...