Yay day!

by DaniGirl on June 27, 2007 · 26 comments

in Tristan, yay day

See how nice I am to you? I’m about to brag blatantly, but I’ll turn it into a yay day so you can brag, too.

We got Tristan’s report card this week. They ‘grade’ them on a four point scale, from “needs to work on this skill” to “beginning to develop” to “meets developmental expectations” to “exceeds expectations”. He met developmental expectations in most areas – math and science and art. He knows all his letters except for Q, and can count past 40 in English and to 28 in French. He can also follow simple directions in both languages, and remembers his vocabulary in both languages well.

(I must admit I’m still just a little bit entertained that they grade four-year olds in junior kindergarten on math and science and art, to be honest. I kind of expected to get a report that said either ‘does’ or ‘does not’ eat paste and colour within the lines. They take this educational stuff pretty seriously right out of the gate.)

He got a few “beginning to develop” in some areas where we already knew he needs to put in a little more effort – writing his letters, for one, but mostly in areas like following instruction and social skills. He still follows his own mind a little more often than the teacher’s instructions, but he’s come miles and miles from that first week, where we got called in for “the talk.”

So while I’m proud that he did well overall, and the comments reflect a bright, happy little boy who is a pleasure to have in the classroom, who enjoys role play and music and story time and interacting with his peers, there were two areas where his teachers said he excelled. He got a ‘4’ for exceeds expectations in oral communication and reading. I’m really not surprised that my boy is particularly literate, given that I can say without modesty that he comes from exceptionally literate people, but I’m proud nonetheless.

We survived the first year. The lovely part is not so much that I’m looking forward to the next year of challenges, but that Tristan is. That’s my boy.

And now, after all that, I turn the microphone over to you. What makes the sun shine in your world today?

1 suze June 27, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Yay – I’m glad he enjoyed his first year of school.
I start my new job in just 7 working days. WAHOO!

2 suze June 27, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Yay – I’m glad he enjoyed his first year of school.
I start my new job in just 7 working days. WAHOO!

3 Kerry June 27, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Yay, Tristan! Dani, when are you going on holidays? Shouldn’t you be in a car by now?

4 Kerry June 27, 2007 at 1:35 pm

5 Kathleen June 27, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Two more get ups till I’m off work for 10 months. YAY!

6 Kathleen June 27, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Two more get ups till I’m off work for 10 months. YAY!

7 Loukia June 27, 2007 at 2:43 pm

YAY Day because we are going on vacation with our Christos – to Florida, staying at the Westin Diplomat! I can’t wait to see my little baby running around in the sand, enjoying the ocean, and splashing in the pool. I know he’ll love it, and I know we’ll survive the airplane ride – his first!
YAY Day because every day with my son is the greatest joy, and YAY because he lasted the entire 2 hours of Hi-5, and loved it!
YAY because he continues to amaze me all the time, and he continues to say new words everyday and understands if we speak in Greek or English.
YAY because my 4 year wedding anniversary is on Friday!

8 Loukia June 27, 2007 at 2:43 pm

YAY because my 4 year wedding anniversary is on Friday!

9 Bex June 27, 2007 at 4:08 pm

It’s a Yay week for me because I had a fantabulous weekend at the Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival and my teams (both co-ed and women) kicked some serious butt! NOt only that, but I fell back in love with a sport that i only ‘liked’ on the best of days last summer… a definite yay day all week!

10 Bex June 27, 2007 at 4:08 pm

11 Ingrid June 27, 2007 at 8:52 pm

Yay for Tristan – I’m not surprised at his success – and I predict many more good report cards in the future!
Just wait until you attend his high school graduation – it’s a huge shock, in my experience!

12 Ingrid June 27, 2007 at 8:52 pm

13 Jen June 27, 2007 at 10:00 pm

Go Tristan! It’s awesome that his initial school experience was such a great one.

14 Jen June 27, 2007 at 10:00 pm

15 Batman June 27, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Yay! Just because.

16 Batman June 27, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Yay! Just because.

17 Karen June 28, 2007 at 12:14 am

Great report card Tristan.
A yay day for me because … my husband pulled me toward him and gave me a lovely intimate hug while telling me how nice it is that I’m staying at home now, after he’d brought home dinner!

18 Karen June 28, 2007 at 12:14 am

Great report card Tristan.

19 Myra June 28, 2007 at 4:04 pm

YAY for Tristan, you and all of the kids who have finished their years (mine included – onto Gr 1 and into JK… eeps!)
On a separate yay note… and just to tempt you… Henry’s has the Canon Rebel DSLR XTi for $849.99 (I’m just sayin’).

20 Myra June 28, 2007 at 4:04 pm

21 Sharon June 28, 2007 at 6:45 pm

YaY Day…Nathan got a great report card too. Although it’s hard to explain because they using words not numbers. Confuess the hell out of me until you think about it.
Yay Day…Miranda’s PROM is over and it was a huge sucess for her and us. Although NOW we are broke.
Yay DAY July 1st is coming along and FIREWORKS…LOVE THAT.
Yay Day I’m going to sit on my cool back deck and read UNTL I have to leave for a fashion show.
HUGS

22 Sharon June 28, 2007 at 6:45 pm

Yay DAY July 1st is coming along and FIREWORKS…LOVE THAT.
HUGS

23 nancy June 28, 2007 at 6:52 pm

How and why the HELL are you blogging while on vacatoin, and not blogging about your trip?? WTF?
YAY for you for being so organized to keep up blog.
Anti-yay for me, Ben is sick.
Yay for me, hubby has a 4 day weekend starting tomorrow.

24 nancy June 28, 2007 at 6:52 pm

YAY for you for being so organized to keep up blog.
Anti-yay for me, Ben is sick.
Yay for me, hubby has a 4 day weekend starting tomorrow.

25 cait June 28, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Yay, I’m back from training…I missed the office! (I know, doesn’t say much for my social life ;))

26 cait June 28, 2007 at 9:33 pm