Go Sens GO!

by DaniGirl on May 24, 2007 · 8 comments

in Canadianisms, Life in Ottawa

When I heard that there would be a rally to cheer the Senators on to a Stanley Cup victory on the very day I was home with the boys, I couldn’t resist bringing them downtown for what could be a once-in-a-lifetime event.

It was hot – damn hot, to quote Robin Williams – and crowded, but still a wonderful experience to be a part of a crowd of 6000 Cup-crazy fans. The boys had their new Senators jerseys on, fresh from Saturday’s inagural wearing, and “Go Sens!” written on their cheeks in, well, in my eyeliner.

Does it get more Canadian than poutine at a Stanley Cup hockey rally? Kerry was kind enough to share hers with Simon.

We had three generations of bandwagon hockey fans cheering for the Sens: Tristan and Simon, me and Papa Lou!

The boys had fun, but spent an inordinate amount of time looking at the backs of people’s knees as they sweated in the newly rechristened ‘Sens wagon’.

There were lots of smiling faces, and plenty of funny expressions of fandom. This guy who was standing near us had both!

I’m pretty sure this guy had sunstroke by the end of the rally.

This was the best moment of the rally. (Well, this and when Lucky Ron sang Stompin’ Tom Connors’ The Good Old Hockey Game!) They set off some daytime fireworks and unfurled this 60 foot Sens banner over City Hall.

Edited to add: Kerry’s got her take on the rally and more pix on her blog.

1 Sue May 24, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Looks like a fabulous day and very colourful!
BTW as I’m English, what is poutine? Always one to further my knowledge.
🙂

2 Sue May 24, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Looks like a fabulous day and very colourful!
BTW as I’m English, what is poutine? Always one to further my knowledge.
🙂

3 Loukia May 24, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Mmmm poutine… one of these days I will go the chip wagon across the street from my building here at work! I will! I was driving back to work after Christos’s CHEO appointment (after a quit pit-stop at Rideau Centre) and was amazed at the turn-out for the Sens rally! Good times!

4 Loukia May 24, 2007 at 8:28 pm

5 BeachMama May 25, 2007 at 1:10 am

Here I thought it was on Saturday, it sure would have been fun to go to the rally, glad you got to make it!

6 BeachMama May 25, 2007 at 1:10 am

7 Kerry May 25, 2007 at 3:11 am

Sue – it’s a delightful combination of french fries, cheese curds, and an orangey gravy (sometimes they just use beef gravy, but not for the real thing). The cheese starts off squeaky but then gets melty and stringy and it’s oh so very good and causes oh so very much heartburn shortly thereafter.
Mmm…
(That’s me forcing the poutine on Simon, who very soon thereafter put the french fry down on the wagon. Smart kid.)

8 Kerry May 25, 2007 at 3:11 am