Food, glorious food!

by DaniGirl on January 12, 2007 · 36 comments

in Life, the Universe and Everything

As I mentioned earlier this week, I seem to have overcome my inability to plan meals.

Since I’m so grateful to you for all your mealtime suggestions, and since I frankly can’t think of anything else to blog about today, I thought I’d share with you my week of dinners. Many of you said you were stuck in a dinnertime rut, too. Maybe this will inspire you – or, more likely, you’ll realize that you like your rut just fine, thanks.

Sunday
Meatloaf, recipe stolen from here (Yummy!)
Sweet potato French fries
Baked beans cooked in the slow cooker
Mixed green salad with mandarin oranges, slivered almonds and Toasted Sesame dressing

Monday
Quesadillas made with low-fat refried beans, cheddar, and diced onions, tomatoes and red peppers, topped with salsa and home-made guacamole

(Does anybody have a good salsa recipe? I’ve always wanted to try making salsa.)

Tuesday
Pasta with stir-fried chunks of red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and snow peas, tossed with pesto sauce. (I usually make rotini with this, but thought I’d try farfalle this time. Blah. I’ll go back to the rotini for next time.)

Wednesday
I worked late, so Beloved was in charge of dinner. Pizza and wings from the place at the corner. Oh well.

Thursday
Lasagne (from a box)
Mixed green salad with feta, dried cranberries, walnut chunks and home-made dressing
(The boys ate Scooby-Doo pasta from a can.)

Friday
Home-made bean soup (frozen leftovers from last weekend)
Fresh bread
Cheddar cheese slices

Saturday
Chili (one of my specialties – lots of beans and tomatoes, and very spicy)
Toast
Devilled eggs

Repeat for the next 51 weeks and I’ll only have to think of new dinner ideas once a year.

(Stay tuned next week, when I blog the contents of the bottom of my purse. Citizen journalism doesn’t get any more scintillating than this, folks!)

1 Suzanne January 12, 2007 at 3:33 pm

This is really inspiring. Not that anyone in my house would eat any of that food, but I am so impressed, really! Good luck with subsequent menu planning; if you’re willing to share, I’d love to see other weekly menus.

2 Suzanne January 12, 2007 at 3:33 pm

3 Suzanne January 12, 2007 at 3:33 pm

4 Suzanne January 12, 2007 at 3:33 pm

5 andrea from the fishbowl January 12, 2007 at 3:36 pm

1) I will scan and email you my salsa recipe. It’s classic.
2) Have you tried making a monthly calendar and filling it with all your favourite keeper dinners? I used a MS-Word template, and kept it up for a few months and then, ahem, lost motivation. But I am more than confident that you could do it!

6 andrea from the fishbowl January 12, 2007 at 3:36 pm

1) I will scan and email you my salsa recipe. It’s classic.

7 andrea from the fishbowl January 12, 2007 at 3:36 pm

1) I will scan and email you my salsa recipe. It’s classic.

8 andrea from the fishbowl January 12, 2007 at 3:36 pm

1) I will scan and email you my salsa recipe. It’s classic.

9 alison January 12, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Some of those dinners sound pretty yummy. I had to laugh at your post title — “Ice Age 2, the Meltdown” is in pretty high rotation at our house, and I now have that song stuck in my head, vultures and all. Can’t help you with a salsa recipe, but would love a good one if someone else comes through.

10 alison January 12, 2007 at 5:50 pm

11 alison January 12, 2007 at 5:50 pm

12 alison January 12, 2007 at 5:50 pm

13 Fryman January 12, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Ohhh – I can’t wait for the ‘What I wore each day to work post’. Is this what we can expect in the post #26 scandal era for Blog??!
Don’t worry about the Fryday content – even geniuses such as ourseleves need a break from witty prose and insightful revelation.
And I give the meal of the week award to Beloved – simple, minimal effort, and no doubt tasty!

14 Fryman January 12, 2007 at 6:48 pm

15 Fryman January 12, 2007 at 6:48 pm

16 Fryman January 12, 2007 at 6:48 pm

17 mamaloo, the doula January 12, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Want a few more easy recipes?
Granny’s Mince Stew http://momcast.blogspot.com/2006/11/frugal-recipe-grannys-mince-stew.html
Porcupine Balls
Couscous Salad
Those are some of my published recipes.
I also make homemade mac and cheese that is pretty easy and load it up with chopped veggies and ham. It’s a staple at Chez Momcast.

18 mamaloo, the doula January 12, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Want a few more easy recipes?
Porcupine Balls
Couscous Salad
Those are some of my published recipes.

19 mamaloo, the doula January 12, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Want a few more easy recipes?
Porcupine Balls
Couscous Salad
Those are some of my published recipes.

20 mamaloo, the doula January 12, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Want a few more easy recipes?
Porcupine Balls
Couscous Salad
Those are some of my published recipes.

21 Lisa January 13, 2007 at 1:56 am

I’ve been reading your blog for about a month now, and since it’s delurking week, decided to comment. I’m not a great cook, but was surprised there was no chicken on your list. My hubby and I like this one — chicken breast stuffed with spinach(you’ll have to use frozen at this point), and feta. Easy and pretty quick. You can use the leftover frozen spinach for a lasagne the next night. My kids sometimes eat it … depends on the day.

22 Lisa January 13, 2007 at 1:56 am

23 Lisa January 13, 2007 at 1:56 am

24 Lisa January 13, 2007 at 1:56 am

25 helene January 13, 2007 at 2:22 am

this post really makes me hungry 🙂 {goes off to scan the pantry]

26 helene January 13, 2007 at 2:22 am

this post really makes me hungry 🙂 {goes off to scan the pantry]

27 helene January 13, 2007 at 2:22 am

this post really makes me hungry 🙂 {goes off to scan the pantry]

28 helene January 13, 2007 at 2:22 am

this post really makes me hungry 🙂 {goes off to scan the pantry]

29 Shan January 13, 2007 at 3:20 am

Great meal plans.
I’m a huge fan of making a meal plan. I was in a rut and tired of cooking too. Since I’ve been posting a recipe a week on my blog it’s kept me motivated.
It appears to be a problem a lot of us have because the vast majority of my hits come from recipe/food searches.

30 Shan January 13, 2007 at 3:20 am

Great meal plans.

31 Shan January 13, 2007 at 3:20 am

Great meal plans.

32 Shan January 13, 2007 at 3:20 am

Great meal plans.

33 Terry January 15, 2007 at 4:10 am

yay Dani! Your meal plan looks great! Now I want to run right out and get a new cookbook or something … ok, maybe I’m not quite that motivated!

34 Terry January 15, 2007 at 4:10 am