International icon for breastfeeding?

by DaniGirl on November 10, 2006 · 40 comments

in Life, the Universe and Everything

I get a lot of Google traffic looking for pictures of nursing mothers. I’m never sure exactly what it is they’re looking for, but I’m betting this isn’t it!

The folks at Mothering.com held a contest recently to solicit designs for an internationally-recognizable icon to represent breastfeeding. They said, “The image of a baby bottle on an airport sign announcing the location of a “parents lounge” infuriated us and got us thinking: Isn’t there an international symbol for breastfeeding?”

The results of their contest are clever (check out the finalists here), but I find these also-rans (click through for more) particularly funny:

Here in Canada, or at least in Ottawa, there is a commonly-recognized symbol of a baby that indicates nursing stations, baby-change rooms and whatnot. Are they not common everywhere?

1 nancy November 10, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Great idea, but can’t say that I am overly fond of the finalists. I prefer a couple of the ‘others’ that I peeked at.
And I have to wonder, what is the big deal with the baby bottle being a symbol for “OK place to lounge and feed baby”??
Uh oh…what did I just say?

2 nancy November 10, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Uh oh…what did I just say?

3 nancy November 10, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Uh oh…what did I just say?

4 nancy November 10, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Uh oh…what did I just say?

5 Miche November 10, 2006 at 1:35 pm

Heh. I love the middle one. Exactly how I felt for over a year!

6 Miche November 10, 2006 at 1:35 pm

Heh. I love the middle one. Exactly how I felt for over a year!

7 Miche November 10, 2006 at 1:35 pm

Heh. I love the middle one. Exactly how I felt for over a year!

8 Miche November 10, 2006 at 1:35 pm

Heh. I love the middle one. Exactly how I felt for over a year!

9 roxanne November 10, 2006 at 3:01 pm

I breastfed both of my children through babyhood and support breastfeeding (but am not a “breastfeeding Nazi”). In any case, some of those are quite disturbing. And the way some people are even turned off by having to witness a mom feeding her child (still can’t figure this one out, maybe something from their childhood), I would think there would be major protesting of some of these symbols. I agree that the symbol of a baby would be appropriate since not everyone breastfeeds and not everyone bottlefeeds. When will this become a non-issue among mothers? Can’t we just all get along? πŸ˜‰

10 roxanne November 10, 2006 at 3:01 pm

11 roxanne November 10, 2006 at 3:01 pm

12 roxanne November 10, 2006 at 3:01 pm

13 Phantom Scribbler November 10, 2006 at 3:04 pm

πŸ˜†
Oh my. I also like the other one with the knife and fork. Still my life, alas!

14 Phantom Scribbler November 10, 2006 at 3:04 pm

πŸ˜†
Oh my. I also like the other one with the knife and fork. Still my life, alas!

15 Phantom Scribbler November 10, 2006 at 3:04 pm

πŸ˜†
Oh my. I also like the other one with the knife and fork. Still my life, alas!

16 Phantom Scribbler November 10, 2006 at 3:04 pm

πŸ˜†
Oh my. I also like the other one with the knife and fork. Still my life, alas!

17 Sharon November 10, 2006 at 3:46 pm

They are funny but none appeal to me. Humm maybe I should thnk about this and summit a design of my own. Although Honestly I think there is no need for this. I just popped and fed. Of course discreetly.

18 Sharon November 10, 2006 at 3:46 pm

19 Sharon November 10, 2006 at 3:46 pm

20 Sharon November 10, 2006 at 3:46 pm

21 Valerie November 10, 2006 at 4:27 pm

LOL at the knife and fork one. The one with the bra, one strap open appealed to my sense of humour as well. I like the happy ones, like the blue heart with smiling baby.

22 Valerie November 10, 2006 at 4:27 pm

23 Valerie November 10, 2006 at 4:27 pm

24 Valerie November 10, 2006 at 4:27 pm

25 Sayre November 10, 2006 at 6:16 pm

I think that if I had to pick one for a sign, it would have been Icon 7 or 8. Inoffensively gets the point across – go in this room and you will see bare breasts with babies attached to them….
The lecherous looking babies made me laugh, but then I always thought my son vaguely looked like that when it was time to eat.

26 Sayre November 10, 2006 at 6:16 pm

27 Sayre November 10, 2006 at 6:16 pm

28 Sayre November 10, 2006 at 6:16 pm

29 cinnamon gurl November 10, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Hee hee, thanks for the links. I love the knife and fork on the chest one.
And I think I’m becoming inflammatory in my old age, because I found myself inclined to the more booby ones. Except it’s so difficult to support breastfeeding and not to alienate or make mothers who can’t feel guilty or like failures. So for that reason, I agree with roxanne that just a baby is enough.

30 cinnamon gurl November 10, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Hee hee, thanks for the links. I love the knife and fork on the chest one.

31 cinnamon gurl November 10, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Hee hee, thanks for the links. I love the knife and fork on the chest one.

32 cinnamon gurl November 10, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Hee hee, thanks for the links. I love the knife and fork on the chest one.

33 BeachMama November 10, 2006 at 9:23 pm

I have to say that I don’t really care for those signs at all. I guess I thought that the ones we had here were universal for baby station, which means where you go for nursing.
I actually would rather my son see the woman whipping it out than one of those pictures that you know full well will get written all over and full of graffiti.
I would hope they could find something a little more tasteful.

34 BeachMama November 10, 2006 at 9:23 pm

I would hope they could find something a little more tasteful.

35 BeachMama November 10, 2006 at 9:23 pm

I would hope they could find something a little more tasteful.

36 BeachMama November 10, 2006 at 9:23 pm

I would hope they could find something a little more tasteful.

37 Michelle November 11, 2006 at 2:13 am

I don’t know if they are supposed to be funny but I got my chuckle for the day, I vote for number 3.

38 Michelle November 11, 2006 at 2:13 am