Way back in the spring, I was invited to the grand opening of Ottawa’s newest toy store, Mastermind Toys. Do you know them? I found out that one of my all-time favourite toy stores in my home town of London is a part of their chain, as is the gift shop at the Ontario Science Centre.
I was lucky enough to attend the grand opening of the store in Kanata Centrum, and I see that just this weekend they’ve opened up a second location on St Laurent Blvd in the east end.
I was really impressed with the Mastermind Toy store in Kanata. From the moment I walked in, I knew it was the kind of store that kids and parents alike would appreciate. It’s a big store with a boutique feel to it, and I could tell that the toy lines were chosen with an eye to the kind of educational and creative toys I love to give. Speaking of giving, if you don’t happen to have your own live-in toy consultant (Beloved does almost all the toy buying in our family, as he is deeply in touch with his inner child!) they have staff dedicated to helping you choose the right gift for any occasion, and they have complimentary gift wrapping, too!
When we visited the Kanata store, we were treated to a sneak peek at some of their best sellers and new favourite items. I can honestly say that almost all the toys they showed us were either something I’d like to give or something I coveted for myself. Two in particular leapt out at me. The first was a personal slushie maker by Zoku. I have always loved slushie drinks, and I was intrigued by how the Zoku worked. The second was a toy that you sort of have to see in action to appreciate, but from the moment I saw it I knew the boys would love it. Imagine you crossed a yo-yo with a kite and a boomerang – that’s the SkyTrix Stunt Glider. When the lovely peeps at Mastermind Toys asked if I’d like to do a review and giveaway, I knew those were the items I would love to share with the boys, and with you!
Those personal slushie makers seem pretty popular right now. I’ve seen at least two other brands, and we had even bought one to try it before we saw the Zoku version. It was such a waste of money that we brought it back to the store after a day – it didn’t make anything except cold water. The Zoku, on the other hand, is AWESOME! You put the cup in the freezer overnight, and then pour any cold liquid into the frozen cup. Wait a minute or three, and you’ll see the liquid starting to freeze to the sides. Use the included spoon to scrape down the sides and suddenly you’ll find the whole thing starting to slush up. It’s really quite impressive – and delicious! We tried chocolate milk, lemonade, orange juice and… COFFEE! Seriously awesome!
In fact, we liked it so much that when Simon needed a theme for his movie-making camp earlier this summer, he chose to make a Zoku commercial. Remember this?
The SkyTrix is one of those toys that’s brilliant in its simplicity. No batteries, nothing to assemble, just a plastic glider about 9″ across attached to a long tether. First you hone your throwing skills, but by hanging on to the tether you can start to make it do tricks, or play catch with it, or, erm, retrieve it from the neighbour’s tree.
It’s one of those toys that you can play with straight out of the box, but that’s intriguing enough to keep you picking it up. It’s also a great diversion while you’re waiting for the burgers to finish cooking on the BBQ.
And now, thanks to the awesome peeps at Mastermind Toys, I have a Zoku Shake and Slushie Maker and a SkyTrix to share with you! Want to win? Leave a comment on this post and tell me about a toy you like – any toy. A fave from your childhood, your favourite one to give, one you saw and coveted when you were wee, just tell me about a toy that you thought was interesting and why.
Here’s the fine print:
- This is a giveaway for either a Zoku Shake and Slushie Maker or a SkyTrix stunt glider courtesy of Mastermind Toys.
- To enter the giveaway, simply leave a comment on this post telling me about an interesting toy.
- Two winners will be chosen at random from all comments posted. The first winner chosen will win the Zoku Shake and Slushie Maker and the second winner will receive the SkyTrix glider.
- Everyone who “likes” Postcards from the Mothership on Facebook will get a bonus entry. (This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.) If you already like Postcards from the Mothership on FB, just say so in your comment.
- This giveaway is open only to residents of Canada and the United States, excluding residents of Quebec. (sorry!)
- This giveaway will run until 11:59 pm EDT on Friday August 16, 2013.
- If you win, you must be willing to provide your full name and contact information to me to share with Mastermind Toys, who will ship the toy directly to you.
Thanks to Mastermind Toys for the fun toys to share, and for a terrific new place to shop for smart, fun toys in Ottawa! Good luck to all entrants!
Edited to add: This giveaway is now closed. Thank you for all your comments and congratulations to Elizabeth, winner of the Zoku Shake and Slushie Maker and Tara, winner of the SkyTrix glider.
Related posts (automatically generated):
- In which the boys launch their movie careers at the Apple Store (alternate title: more free family fun this summer!) This is a shameless but absolutely unsponsored plug for a great summer activity for kids aged 8 to 12. It was Beloved who noticed the ad for free kids’ camp on the Apple.ca website a few weeks ago. I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call it “camp”...
- Why I think Indigo Kids is awesome (part 1 of 3), and a giveaway! One of the more popular posts on this blog, from a traffic standpoint, is the “An experienced mom’s guide to kid birthday parties in Ottawa.” It seems parents are looking for inspiration when it comes to hosting birthday parties for their kids. Consider this set of three posts the other...
- You’ll FLIP over my latest giveaway! Remember back a few months ago, I told you about our new Flip MinoHD? Thanks to Mom Central, I can now give away another Flip MinoHD to one of you in the “You’ll Flip for the Holidays” giveaway. Mom Central is asking to whom would you give a Flip and...
- Why I think Indigo Kids is awesome (part 2 of 3), and a giveaway! This is the second in a set of three posts about how Indigo Kids makes birthday party preparations painless and maybe even fun. Last time, I mentioned how impressed I was to find rows of pre-wrapped (and FREE-wrapped, no less) gift selections at my local Indigo Kids last autumn. Fast...
- A Spring into Summer giveaway from Fisher-Price! Late in the afternoon yesterday, after eight solid years days of rain and clouds, the sun came out, the temperatures shot up, and just like that, it felt like summer. Yay! Summer is my favourite season. Bring on the heat, the humidity, the bugs — just let me get out...