If you’re looking for something fun to do with the kids around Ottawa sometime in the next few days, I highly recommend a wee adventure at Rideau Pines Farm for berry picking.
Although we’ve gone on excursions to pick apples, pumpkins and even Christmas trees, we have never yet managed to go strawberry picking, although I have been intending to do it with the boys for years. In fact, I have never been strawberry picking and so was not exactly sure what to expect. Since Friday was a rare clear and warm (albeit sticky and humid) day, I was afraid it would be terribly busy and I was also worried it might be swampy after all the rain we’ve had. I was wrong on both counts.
After a goodly wander to the furthest field in the farm, we had the place to ourselves.
One of the farm hands warned us that it was toward the end of the season and the berries weren’t as plentiful, but I can’t imagine how it must have been before because we had no trouble founding a bounty of berries to pick.
We may have snacked on a few, too.
We also inspected a few other familiar crops, like runner beans and squash and tomatoes and our new favourite, kale!
And on our way back we picked a few currants and raspberries, too!
In addition to our investment of $4 for two pints (give or take) of strawberries, we bought some new potatoes that went perfectly with a little garlic scapes for dinner. They have all sorts of other fruits, veggies and honey in season throughout the year.
I’m sure there are lots of great places to pick strawberries around Ottawa, but we were deeply charmed by Rideau Pines Farm, and we’ve found a new summer adventure to repeat every year. Their website suggests you call ahead before you visit to make sure there are still berries to be picked. The number is (613) 489-3601.
If you go:
Rideau Pines Farm
5714 Fourth Line Rd
North Gower ON
Related posts (automatically generated):
- Friday Family Fun: Apple Picking!! Apple-picking is one of my favourite summer-into-fall family traditions. On a crisp autumn day, there is nothing better than blue skies, green grass and fresh red apples. And there is no better snack than a tartly sweet juicy apple – I’m drooling just thinking about it! The apple-picking season is...
- Ottawa Family Fun: Pumpkin picking! On Sunday morning, I wanted to give the boys a bit of a break from the chaos of half-empty boxes and moving mania so we decided to set off in search of pumpkins. Sure, we could have picked some up at the grocery store, and Farm Boy has some really...
- Our CSA Adventure: Roots and Shoots farm visit As I mentioned back in May, we’re trying something new this year. We’ve bought a community-supported agriculture (CSA) share from Manotick’s own Roots and Shoots organic farm. I’m really excited about this! It means that every two weeks through the summer and fall, we get an assortment of freshly picked...
- The Great Pumpkin Adventure of 2011 Had a great afternoon out picking pumpkins at Miller’s Farm again this year! Want more details? See last year’s post....
- Photo of the day: Family fun on the Rideau Canal When the last of your Christmas family visitors happen to arrive on the first day that the Rideau Canal is open for the season, and they’ve never visited the world’s longest (or is it largest?) outdoor skating rink, and the temperature rises above minus 10C for the first day in...