We’ve received so much snow in the past couple of weeks that it’s hard to believe we had none on the ground in mid-December. We’ve had a lot of fun getting out and playing in it this week!
A few of you have been by to see how well the front yard works as a photo studio in the summer, but did you know during the winter months it moonlights as a toboggan hill? (I love my semi-rural life only a wee bit more than I love my w-i-d-e angle lens that stretches and distorts things, making close seem closer and far seem further.)
I drive by these snowy trees almost every day and I finally stopped one day to try to capture the interesting contrast of white snow on dark branches that kept catching my eye. Apparently I did not learn my lesson last week, but was at least
smart lucky enough to not get stuck this time.
We also had a lot of fun outside building snowmen during our winter break. I picked up a snowman “kit” on sale at the grocery store and I gotta tell you, it’s paid for itself in fun already. I shared one photo in my how to add snow in Photoshop post, but here’s the full series:
(I love how the snowman has a smile that seems to turn into a frown in the one where Lucas is staring him down! And you’ll see the perils of adding snow to your photos in post production – you kind of have to be willing to commit for the full series!)
And, while we were on our snowman kick, we made a mini-one too! He has peppercorns for eyes, mouth and buttons, in case you were wondering.
After all that snowman building, this is kind of how I felt: “Ever have one of those days when you’re just riding on fumes?”
Last but certainly not least, this week of course included new year’s day. I took a shot last year that we decided to carry on as an annual tradition. Here’s the 2012 shot:
And here’s the 2013 shot.
Lots of changes in just one year, eh?
Happy new year to all of you, and may 2013 be a joyful year full of beauty and fun for everyone!
Related posts (automatically generated):
- Wordless Wednesday: Snow(man) Day! ...
- Photo of the day: Snowman – finally! It’s been such an odd winter in Ottawa, hasn’t it? Not a lot of snow before Christmas, and then temperatures so ridiculously cold that nobody wanted to go outside to play, and the snow was too powdery to make a snowman even if you were to brave the cold. Until...
- Photo tricks – Adding snow with Photoshop Here’s something new I’ve been thinking about sharing on the blog – more sophisticated tips and tutorials for photography. This is a fun little trick I learned this year and I thought I’d share it with you. Want to make a fun winter photo even more wintry-looking? Add a little...
- This week in pictures: after the holidays I‘m still on the fence as to whether this is another 365 project, but I did take a picture (or five) each day this week. How can I stop taking pictures when there’s cuteness like this is my life? Isn’t he so lovely? Oh my, but that boy will break...
- This week in pictures: Winter and other diversions After a notable absence, winter has arrived with a vengeance in Ottawa recently. I can’t wait to get out and start taking pictures of the great snow dump we got yesterday — but I might wait until the temperatures warm up a bit beyond the current minus 30 with the...