We’ve received so much snow in the past couple of weeks that it’s hard to believe we had none on the ground in mid-December. We’ve had a lot of fun getting out and playing in it this week!
A few of you have been by to see how well the front yard works as a photo studio in the summer, but did you know during the winter months it moonlights as a toboggan hill? (I love my semi-rural life only a wee bit more than I love my w-i-d-e angle lens that stretches and distorts things, making close seem closer and far seem further.)
I drive by these snowy trees almost every day and I finally stopped one day to try to capture the interesting contrast of white snow on dark branches that kept catching my eye. Apparently I did not learn my lesson last week, but was at least
smart lucky enough to not get stuck this time.
We also had a lot of fun outside building snowmen during our winter break. I picked up a snowman “kit” on sale at the grocery store and I gotta tell you, it’s paid for itself in fun already. I shared one photo in my how to add snow in Photoshop post, but here’s the full series:
(I love how the snowman has a smile that seems to turn into a frown in the one where Lucas is staring him down! And you’ll see the perils of adding snow to your photos in post production – you kind of have to be willing to commit for the full series!)
And, while we were on our snowman kick, we made a mini-one too! He has peppercorns for eyes, mouth and buttons, in case you were wondering.
After all that snowman building, this is kind of how I felt: “Ever have one of those days when you’re just riding on fumes?”
Last but certainly not least, this week of course included new year’s day. I took a shot last year that we decided to carry on as an annual tradition. Here’s the 2012 shot:
And here’s the 2013 shot.
Lots of changes in just one year, eh?
Happy new year to all of you, and may 2013 be a joyful year full of beauty and fun for everyone!
Related posts (automatically generated):
- Wordless Wednesday: Snow(man) Day! ...
- Photo of the day: Snowman – finally! It’s been such an odd winter in Ottawa, hasn’t it? Not a lot of snow before Christmas, and then temperatures so ridiculously cold that nobody wanted to go outside to play, and the snow was too powdery to make a snowman even if you were to brave the cold. Until...
- Photo tricks – Adding snow with Photoshop Here’s something new I’ve been thinking about sharing on the blog – more sophisticated tips and tutorials for photography. This is a fun little trick I learned this year and I thought I’d share it with you. Want to make a fun winter photo even more wintry-looking? Add a little...
- Photo of the day: Biggest! Snowman! Ever! It’s the off-season for my photography business, which means two things. First, I’ve got a lot more time on my hands, so I’m teaching myself new tricks and being inspired by seeking out photography tutorials and workshops. Lately, I’ve been thinking more about creativity and storytelling in my photography. Second,...
- This week in pictures: after the holidays I‘m still on the fence as to whether this is another 365 project, but I did take a picture (or five) each day this week. How can I stop taking pictures when there’s cuteness like this is my life? Isn’t he so lovely? Oh my, but that boy will break...