If your life were a movie genre…

by DaniGirl on April 30, 2010 · 9 comments

in Life, the Universe and Everything

Yesterday, I alluded to a blog post I’d scrawled on a post-office receipt, and I suppose if I just take a second to decipher my chicken-scratch and publish it, I can stop worrying that I’m going to lose lose the damn thing! (Not that it’s a particularly inspiring blog post or anything — don’t want to get your hopes up. It’s really kind of ordinary, actually, but I liked the idea. Not that it’s not worth reading, either. I mean, um, maybe I should just get on with it?)

Anyway, ahem, I was puttering about in the car one Saturday afternoon, listening to Definitely Not the Opera on CBC Radio, and Sook Yin Lee was asking people, “if your life was a movie, what film genre would it be?”

I immediately loved this question. It took just a few seconds of considering various genres — black comedy, film noir, three-hanky drama, slasher fest, bromance or buddy pic — when I realized with a rather delightful jolt that I knew exactly what kind of film genre my life story would be: one of those John Hughes or Cameron Crowe quirky comedies.

C’mon, you know the ones — a cast of quirky but loveable *coughmisfitcough* characters, lots of snappy dialogue and smiles, moments of poignant drama, but an overall uplifting experience that leaves everyone happy and better off in the end. That’s totally how I (chose to) see my life.

What about you? If your life was a movie, what genre would it be and why?

1 little red hen April 30, 2010 at 10:15 am

British farce. Because we’re all slightly nuts in our own way, there’s usually some miscommuntication that could lead to potential problems. Somebody will over-react to something which sets off everyone else. And lots of laughter.

2 Simon MacDonald April 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Well my work life would be a comedy but not any comedy it is totally “Office Space”. The rest of my life is a comedy with occasional dramatic moments.

3 Paula April 30, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Seriously, I would think that mine would be a dramady and hopefully written by Nora Ephron 🙂 There are some places in my life I had to traverse through that if it wasn’t for my sense of humour, I don’t think I would have made it through. It has been my best survival tool.

4 Jody April 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Aimless Indie with no real plot and no tidy resolution, and possibly too much focus on food at the expense of action. 😉

5 Amber April 30, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I have no real idea what genre of film my life would be. But it would be a lot like Parenthood in the end.

6 Leanne - Momcast April 30, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Screwball comedy/comedy of errors in which an earnest but slightly hapless and mildly harangued wife barely manages to contend with her turbo powered smart but devious and slightly feral children. I’d have to morph Diane Keaton with Janeane Garafalo and Meg Ryan (dorky, forgetful, neurotic, cute, cranky, smart and edgy – I wish!) and the script would be written by Nora Ephron AND Nick Hornby.

Or, maybe it would be a parenting comedy but written by Neil Gaiman so there would be all these delightfully weird stuff and filled with kooky underdog characters.

Captcha: three immorally (maybe I should opine a third genre/film!)

7 Paula Kelly-Bourque May 1, 2010 at 12:41 am

RT @DaniGirl: If your life were a film, what genre would it be? http://tinyurl.com/292gga9

8 Nat May 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Good question,
Ideally, it would be an Amelie/ LIke Water for Chocolate type fairy tale.

9 Alexis Stewart May 2, 2010 at 12:15 pm