The 100 Push-ups Challenge – Week 2

by DaniGirl on April 20, 2010 · 11 comments

in It IS all about me

Well, this push-up thing has taken on a life of its own — as seems to be the case in an alarming number of things in my life! What started out as a poorly formed idea to be able to do *some* proper, full-body push-ups, with perhaps the capability to do some unspecified amount of *more* push-ups by some date three or four months in the future has now migrated into a formal challenge where a bunch of us are going to try to do 100 push-ups. In SIX WEEKS!

Yeesh, that peer pressure thing never really does go away, does it? So far, I know Finola and Nat and Christy and Barbi are playing along — did I miss anyone?

And you know what the really funny part is? I’m already a quarter of the way to the goal! Yep, yesterday, for Day 1 of Week 2, I managed to do 26 push-ups. Remember, it’s only been three weeks since I first tried and could not do a single push-up, and now I can do 26. Yay!

Here’s the secret — it’s not 26 all in a row. This hundredpushups.com site has an amazing program where you start out doing two push-ups, then rest for 60 seconds, then churn out three, then rest — it’s almost too easy that way. And it increases incrementally, so yesterday I did five sets of 4, 6, 4, 4 and 8 push-ups with 60 second rest-periods in between — 26 push-ups in five minutes. On the site, they have a tracker so you can log your progress, and if you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, there’s an app for that!

So I knew that I’d probably improve the muscle tone and shape of my arms and shoulders (hello sleeveless season!) but what I didn’t expect is that between the push-ups and the rowing machine I’m suddenly starting to see a lot of definition in my abs. Mind you, it’s definition with about 3/4 of an inch of belly fat, but definition none-the-less. After five pregnancies and three 10 lbs babies, I’m now working on my first-ever six pack — who would have guessed it!!

So there you go, I’m officially more than 1/4 of the way to the ludicrous and accidental goal of being able to to 100 push-ups. Ain’t serendipity grand?

1 Liisa April 20, 2010 at 9:19 am

Yes! You missed me. I’m on Week 2, Day 2 today! Thanks for the inspiration.

2 Shannon April 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

I’m doing it too and was just about to write about it! I’m only on day 4 but can see this lasting all the way. I can already feel my abs getting a good workout too. I a;so got the Squats and Sit Up app and will be starting that this morning after my bike ride. I’m psyched! I’m post baby #2, no more on the way and highly motivated to get in shape. I’m so glad I read about the push ups program!!!

3 Sara in Montréal April 20, 2010 at 10:29 am

Being not even a month after giving birth to my second daughter, I think it would be a bit early to start this. Not to mention that time is not as available as it used to be and, when available, being so in a really chaotic way.

But I bookmarked the site and will get to it when I can see a daily routine setting place. Thanks. And good luck with it!

4 Finola April 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this and making me get into it too!
I’m still not doing full toe push-ups – mine are on my knees, and from reading the program’s website I haven’t figured out when or how to transition. Did I miss something? Do I have to do the whole program twice?

5 andrea from the fishbowl April 20, 2010 at 11:26 am

I wasn’t going to do this, but what the heck, I’m in. I’m on week 1 day 2. I am going girl pushups because I have neck/shoulder issues I don’t want to aggravate. I’m making sure they’re good, nose-to-the-floor ones though! I just did 58 total reps.

I am finding that app really helpful btw!

6 ingrid April 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm

OK – you convinced me – I’m in as well! I did 1 push up in the gym class on the weekend. ( kaptcha = buffer sending!)

7 Annie @ PhD in Parenting April 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Hi! Just wanted to jump in and say “way to go!”. I may try to join in late and see if I can catch up once we get settled in Berlin next week.

8 Finola April 20, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Wow, look at all of us! Yay 🙂

9 Lynn April 21, 2010 at 6:04 am

You know, when I read your first push up post I was all, man, I’d never be able to do that (I’ve never done a real push up in my life), and there’s no point in trying. But I am finding your quick progress to be really inspiring. I’m not saying I’m totally on board – yet – but today I will try one push up. Just one. We’ll see how it goes!

10 Nat April 21, 2010 at 6:32 am

I threw out my neck/shoulder early this week, so I am still onto day 3 of week one. Really it’s not that bad once you break it down the way they do.

Congrats on the progress so far.

11 brenda April 24, 2010 at 10:24 am

This is a real coincidence. I started trying to do pushups this week…and I mean trying.On my first day I could do one(from my knees). I can do three now…I try everyday. I am actually amazed at what poor shape I am in and I was motivated by not wanting to see my flabby arma this summer. I will check out the program for sure and wouldlove to see your progress updates!