Wow, can you believe it? Five years ago today, I dipped my toe in the Internet Ocean and have been dog-paddling madly across the sea ever since!
Five years! Wowza. And to celebrate, I dust off an old favourite meme that I’ve done at least two or three times before: the Time Traveler meme. Because that’s what anniversaries for, right? Taking a moment to look back down the path you’ve trod and shaking your head in wonder that you ever made it through at all.
15 years ago today I would have been:
- about a month away from meeting the man of my dreams.
- living in a rented room in a house on Holland Avenue. (It was supposed to be a shared house, but I never really felt like any space except the bedroom was mine.)
- scrambling to find a way for the government to transfer me back to London so I could be near my family.
10 years ago today I would have been:
- starting the first in a series of medical appointments that would result, in about two months, with our official “infertility” diagnosis.
- making arrangements to buy our tiny garden home off Uplands from the landlord we’d been renting from for a year.
- about to start an assignment with Industry Canada, my first official communications position and the first fork in the road that led to my current job.
5 years ago today I would have been:
- starting back to work after a one-year maternity leave with Simon.
- getting organized for Tristan’s first out-of-house birthday party at Cosmic Adventures, at age three.
- sending my very first blog post guilelessly off into the Internet!
1 year ago today I would have been:
- starting back to work after a one-year maternity leave with Lucas.
- coming back to a new job in an area of communications I hadn’t worked in before, in a newly-reduced four-day work week.
- publicly revealing my two-week-old 365 project!
This year I am:
- absolutely delighted with my new job as Web manager for the Army. (Didn’t see that one coming last year!!)
- still searching for that elusive balance between work outside and inside the home, but making progress.
- very, very busy but very, very happy.
- am feeling like I’ve got the world by the tail.
- am preparing for a meeting downtown tomorrow with Google. Yes, that Google!
- am wearing a spectacular new purple (!) bra that I acquired this weekend from Bra Chic. 😉
Next year I hope:
- to be a permanent member of the Army team (just waiting for the paperwork to get resolved) and stop feeling like a deer in the headlights every time an issue comes up.
- to continue having fun with my social media, blogging and photography addictions.
- to be doing more or less exactly what I’m doing now — but better!
(You like the vagueness here? Goal-setting was never one of my strengths!)
In five years I hope:
- to be thinking about looking for a four-bedroom house.
- to be more comfortable in a management role.
- to have all three boys in school full-time and finally be free of the trials and tribulations of daycare once and for all!
It’s fun to have a record of these year after year, and see the amazing twists and turns in my own life over the last decade or so. Let me know if you play along!