Project 365 update: In which she capitulates to post-processing

by DaniGirl on March 18, 2009 · 8 comments

in Photo of the Day

Once upon a time (okay, last week) I was skeptical of photos that had been manipulated in Photoshop or other post-processing software applications. I was a bit of a purist and, let’s call it, a snob. If I really liked a photo, I’d like it a little bit less if I noticed it had been manipulated. Then I had a really interesting conversation with a group of people on Flickr also doing a 365 project, and came to believe that post-processing is not only completely acceptable, but actually a lot of fun. Post-processing, I now believe, is just one of a suite of tools one uses to make the final photograph resemble the image you originally conceived before you even peered through the viewfinder – a suite of tools that includes your focus ring, your composition, your selection of colour or b&w, your decision to use flash or not, etc, etc. A 180 degree turn on my 365, you might say.

All that to say I’ve had a lot of fun this week with Photoshop. Like this photo, for example. Since I got the minivan, I’ve wanted my boring old key fob with it’s red PANIC button to say this:

51:365 Don't panic!

And now, thanks to the wonders of post-processing, it does!

I had a lot of success this week, including this shot, which I truly believe is one of the best pictures I’ve ever taken:

54:365 Coffee break

Don’t you just love his hat? And for the Canadians in the crowd, you can delight in the irony that I snapped this in a Starbucks (overcoming my strong fear of being arrested for stalking a random stranger by capturing this photo while peeking out from behind a shelf stacked with Tazo tea) on my way to Tim Hortons for a coffee.

All of the photos from this week seemed worthy of showcasing in full size – it was a good week! All of these have been adjusted, most very minimally, in Photoshop as well.

52:365 Sussex Street

55:365 In his eyes

55:365 Barn cats

56:365 Dead apples

Now, if only I were living with someone who was so comfortable with Photoshop that he actually taught the subject, and had access to dozens of free textbooks on the subject. Oh wait, I do!! Yay!

(Now I just need an extra five or six hours in the day to play… anybody got any of those to spare?)

1 ian March 18, 2009 at 9:39 am

Great pics – I love black and white, and any picture having to do with an old barn…

2 daysgoby March 18, 2009 at 10:29 am

Those are wonderful!

Love the baby in sunglasses, and the man in the hat makes you ponder…what IS he thinking about?

3 Loukia March 18, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Nice! I love taking pictures, mostly of my kids, though!

Hey, if you haven’t already, check out this blog: http://www.mycharmingkids.net – this awesome mom of 4 is a professional photographer and you’ll be blown away by her pictures! You will truly love it!

4 BeachMama March 18, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I was going to say, doesn’t your husband have and teach Photoshop?!? Great shots this week.

5 denise March 19, 2009 at 8:40 pm

These are awesome shots. If ever you want to take a test drive with a great Photoshop alternative that is owned by a Canadian company, in your backyard, and is easier to use, you might check out Paint Shop Pro by Corel! (disclaimer: I run Product Management for Corel’s Digital Imaging, Video and Disc Authoring software)

6 DaniGirl March 20, 2009 at 8:47 am

Hey Denise, thanks for being transparent in your comment — I really appreciate that! I’ve heard Paint Shop Pro recommended by a couple of people and I’m all over supporting local companies, but we get the full Adobe suite at educational prices because my husband teaches it. I’ve also heard a few people recommend Gimp, which I think is an online service. What I’m really coveting is Lightroom, but we’d have to pay for it and I’m just not that keen yet.

7 Chantal March 23, 2009 at 8:30 am

that shot of the man in Starbucks is amazing.

8 Amy @ Muddy Boots March 23, 2009 at 9:32 am

I’m too cheap for/can’t afford PS, so I use Gimp. I really like it, but don’t really have a frame of reference to compare. I also covet Lightroom and would also love a de-noise program.

As for post-processing, I think it’s almost as much fun as taking the pictures themselves! While I’d love to be able to take great shots SOOC, I love being able to manipulate the shots I do take.