Holy crap, I actually did it!

by DaniGirl on December 3, 2008 · 24 comments

in Me, only better

Remember Plan B? The plan to lose 20 lbs in 20 weeks, to drop back down from 192 pounds to my pre-pregnancy weight before January of 2009?

I did it!! Yay me, I did it!! I lost 23.5 lbs in 15 weeks, and now I’m a couple of pounds under 170. From a tight size 16 to a comfortable 12. Not bad, eh? This is as small as I’ve been since June of 2005 — when, ironically, I joined weight watchers because I thought I was too heavy! My pre-pregnancy comfortable jeans are now too baggy and slidey-offy to wear, and I’m wearing my skinniest jeans comfortably.

So I wanted to be all clever and show you what 23 lbs of fat looks like. Unfortunately, the dairy manager of Sobey’s kept shooting me these really suspicious looks as I stacked pound after pound of butter into my cart, so I just snapped off a really quick shot instead of the artistic expressionism I had been imagining all these weeks as I crept ever closer to my goal:

23 lbs of butter

Then, I realized that there was something else in the cart that ALSO makes a pretty decent illustration of exactly what 23.5 lbs looks like:

23 lbs of butter and cuteness

Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, I’m absolutely thrilled with myself. I’ve never achieved this sort of weight loss before, and so I have no idea if I’ll have trouble maintaining it. For now, though, I still look a bit too much like a “before” picture than an “after” picture for my own comfort. That, and going back to my extremely sedentary desk job is sure to add back at least five or so of those lost pounds. So, I’m readjusting my goal to include another 10 lbs of weight loss by the time I go back to work in two months. That will bring me back to my pre-fertility treatments and pre-FIRST-pregnancy weight. The cookie turkey snacking holiday season will make it a challenge, but I think I can do it!

Related posts (automatically generated):

1. Still haven’t found that weight I lost I got a really nice comment last week from Carolynn, saying she’s lost a couple of pounds after reading about Calorie Counter online here, and she asked for a Plan B update. Then yesterday, a friend said she’d just called Dr Bishop to make an appointment for herself. Actual requests...
  2. In which she utterly fails to lose a pound in six weeks I will try very hard not to whine during this blog post, I promise, but I am soooo frustrated that I need some moral support, and maybe some advice. As you might have noticed, I am really working on healthier living. I cook more than 90 per cent of our...
  3. In which there is an app for that Two weeks ago, I lamented that despite my best efforts, I had utterly failed to lose a pound and in fact, was losing the battle against the 10 lbs I gained in the last year. I whined that I did not want to count calories, that I was doing my...
  4. On plateaus and progress and The Diet Fix I was already thinking about writing a blog post about Yoni Freedhoff’s book The Diet Fix when I happened to catch him speaking to Jian Ghomeshi this morning on CBC Radio Q. I’ve been aware of Dr Freedhoff, an Ottawa doctor who specializes in treating overweight people, for many years....
  5. Plan B, six months later Wow, it’s hard to believe that it’s been just over six months since I started my “Plan B” weight-loss plan. (And, for goodness sake, did none of you think to mention at the time that “Plan B” is a morning after pill as well? It took me months to figure...

1 Batman December 3, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Congrats Dani!!

2 Fawn December 3, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Way to go, Dani! That’s awesome! You are so inspiring — I should probably start thinking about doing something to get back into my pre-prego clothes, too.

I love the butter picture. LOL And the one with Lucas is even cuter!

3 alison December 3, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Yay Dani! That’s great!

I’ve just hit 11 pounds lost on WW and I visualize it as pounds of butter too, lol. I might have mentioned that fact to the girls just a little too often, because when we were at the grocery store last week and I put a pound of butter into the cart, Rae asked, “is that from you, Mum?”.

It’s so nice to be comfortable in your clothes instead of feeling all constricted. Good luck with the next 10 and congrats.

4 Guillermo December 3, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Danigirl… Congrats on your achievement!

5 Chantal December 3, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Dani that is so awesome. I remember when I hit my goad (with WW) I was so happy. I have maintained it somewhat, sorta. Anyhow I am still happy even though I am not as skinny as I was then. Its all about how you feel (as well as how you look). That photo is adorable!!

6 XUP December 3, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Oh! Good for you. I need to get a grip and drop a few pounds myself, but everything tastes so good this time of year. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation. Repeat. One cookie — not 5. One glass of wine, not 2 or 3. One helping of dinner, not… It all sounds so reasonable when I say it, but in practice? You’re an inspiration.

7 Vanessa December 3, 2008 at 2:11 pm

that’s fantastic! That’s a significant loss.. you should be proud of yourself!

8 mrsgryphon December 3, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Congratulations, Dani!! That’s awesome, and so glad that you feel better – that’s really the thing that counts :)

9 Lee December 3, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Congratulations!

(That’s a LOT of butter.)

10 Kerry December 3, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Many congrats, Dani! If you’d really like, I’m sure we can reconfigure your job so you’re running to and fro! :o )

11 Barbara December 3, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Oh, you are amazing in many ways! I hit my pre-pregnancy weight this month and Reid is 4 years old. I decided that if you were going to do it with Lucas still a baby, I had no more excuses and have been living the good (for my health) life since. Not that I am content with my pre-pregnancy weight – it is also the same weight I was at when I, too, decided to go to WW.

I remember what you said about what you were eating but I wonder if that changes when you hit your goal?

12 Jen December 3, 2008 at 9:28 pm

That’s awesome! Congrats! :-)

13 Jody December 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Congratulations! That’s awesome indeed!

14 Natalie December 4, 2008 at 6:55 am

Congratulations! Betcha you look amazing!

15 smothermother December 4, 2008 at 7:35 am

Yeah you! I just managed to fit into a pre-pregnancy skirt the other day. 28 months later and I danced all day. You can totally do the other 10, you did the first 23 in shorter time that you planned. It’s all doable!

16 Renee December 4, 2008 at 11:56 am

Congratulations, Dani! I’ve been on a long blogging break, due to busy-ness, so I feel so out of touch. I’m so proud of you, especially doing that during the holiday season!

17 Annika December 4, 2008 at 12:33 pm

CONGRATS! My hero!

18 snackmommy2 December 4, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Way to go Dani!! Even though there is less of you, I will love you just as much :~)))

19 Jerri Ann December 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Hey, I just went to a meeting last night about having bariatric surgery….I’m just curious how you did it….I have close to 100 pounds and insurance probably won’t pay for it because I don’t have over 100 pounds to lose. But, trust me 20 pounds would be a great start.

Also, I’m shamelessly going to admit that I am asking you to come to my blog and enter to win a contest. And, I’m going to keep my head bowed and ask you to invite your readers to come enter too.

(peeping out from under my embarrassment)

20 DaniGirl December 6, 2008 at 6:06 am

Hey Jerri Ann, I think you just did invite them! (And you can click on “Plan B” in the category list in the sidebar for the details on how I did it.)

21 Chichimama December 7, 2008 at 11:42 am

Go you!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

22 Sue December 7, 2008 at 7:39 pm

WooHoo!! Well done Dani!

23 Karen MEG December 8, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Oh you can do it, you can do it!!!! You’ve done amazingly well already, congrats!!!

That’s a hilarious shot by the way (the one baby).

Fertility drugs really put on the poundage; I managed to get back to less than pre #1 pregnancy weight even after gaining almost 50 lbs with my girlie 4 years ago. If I can do it (and I’m a big, big eater) I’m positive you can keep this up and reach your ultimate goal!

24 Valerie December 10, 2008 at 8:55 pm

that is really awesome, Dani, congratulations! That is also a really cool shot of the cart full of butter, but super cute when you added Lucas. :)