Babies, brownies and boys

by DaniGirl on October 22, 2007 · 12 comments

in Ah, me boys, Postcards from my uterus

The brownie mixes have been calling to me. Every time I go grocery shopping, even though I’m not a huge dessert fan, the brownie mixes have been singing their chocolately siren song, and I finally gave in and bought a box.

We were heading over to my folk’s place for dinner, and knowing that Papa Lou is a big fan of brownies, I decided we’d share. We were driving over there, me with the still-warm pan of brownies in my lap, and the scent of warm, melty chocolate filling the car.

“Are we going to share the brownies?” asked Tristan, who had been salivating since they were baking.

“That’s right,” I said. “One piece for each of us.”

“Yeah,” agreed Tristan. “One for me, one for Simon, one for Daddy, one for Mummy, one for Granny, and one for Papa Lou.”

“Well,” I said, “I think I should get TWO pieces.”

“Two pieces? No way!” Tristan replied.

“Sure,” chimed in Beloved. “One for Mummy, and one for the baby.”

From behind me, Simon laughed loud and hard. “Mummy, you can’t give a piece to the baby!” he said indignantly. “You’ll make a mess of your shirt!!”

I toyed briefly with a lesson in maternal biology, and even started to explain about how the baby gets energy from the food I eat, but it was clear that I’d lost them to the image of me with brownie smushed into my shirt. Ah well, they’ll figure it out one of these days.

So far, we’ve had a few conversations about what it’s like for the baby to live in my belly, and how he will come out. While I was quick to correct the idea that he’ll be egressing through my belly button, I haven’t gotten too specific about exactly where the exit is. Simon doesn’t seem particularly interested either way (at least he’s stopped insisting, “But I don’t WANT a baby brother!” at every mention of the baby) but Tristan is quite engaged with the idea of the baby growing and eventually being born.

We were out walking the dog on Friday night and the boys were telling me about how many kids they’ll each have when they grow up to become daddies. (Be still my heart.) Simon wants “at least three” and told me that when he goes off to work, our nanny Jen will take care of his babies for him. (No mention of a wife here, but I’m quite happy with his implicit endorsement of the nanny.)

Tristan started out saying he wanted ten kids, but by the end had settled on a more manageble three. When I asked him who the mommy of his children will be, he explained that “one day, I’ll be walking down the street, and I’ll see her and then we’ll have lots of babies.” Does this give anybody else a distinctly cave-man image? I can just see him, carrying her off to his place over his shoulder.

1 Karen October 22, 2007 at 8:48 am

OMG, your boys are the cutest! I love that imagery – neanderthal man! So that will be at least 6 grandchildren for ya. I like the way your boys plan so far in advance ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Kellan October 22, 2007 at 8:57 am

I loved this post. So well written and funny and sweet. Now, I want brownies. See ya.

3 colleen October 22, 2007 at 9:13 am

How many brownies did you have? I like Tristan’s theory of finding a Mother for his children. I think he believes in love at first sight…how lovely.

4 bex October 22, 2007 at 11:53 am

I’m with Colleen- I think Tristan has a romantic soul and believes in love at first sight.

How many brownies, how many kids? same conversation no? replace “bun” in the oven with “brownie” and you’re good to go…

5 Sharon October 22, 2007 at 12:31 pm

LMAO! I can see it too. Nathan keeps saying he is going to marry me when Daddy is done with me. LMAO!

6 Valerie October 22, 2007 at 12:39 pm

When I was pg, Sarah kept feeding me the smallest of things for the baby – little carrots, little cookies, etc. She knew I had to eat them and we explained about the womb and cord, but she still thought they had to be little for the baby. ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Kathryn October 22, 2007 at 1:50 pm

Good grief, could your boys be any cuter? So adorable. I laughed out loud picturing you smashing a brownie into your belly and thinking that is what the boys thought you would do. HA!
When I was telling my older two boys that we were gonna have another baby my oldest son said, “but I don’t want another baby, I like our Tommy”. When I explained that we would definitely be keeping Tommy, and also having another baby he was much happier. I guess we have to be careful how we word everything, huh?

8 JoJo October 22, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Yup, romance was the first thing I thought of what Tristan said!

Mmmmmmm…brownies!

9 b*babbler October 22, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Best brownie mix ever? Ghiradelli three-chocolate brownie mix, available at Costco.

I’m drooling right now.

And the image of your son slays me. Me man, you woman. We make babies. You eat brownies. Grrrrr!

10 nancy October 22, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Great. Now I gotta bake brownies. NOW.

11 crazymumma October 22, 2007 at 8:35 pm

grunt.

woman. brownies. babies.

sigh. its caveguy speak….

12 slouching mom October 23, 2007 at 10:14 pm

I love how children’s minds work.

Jack recently told me that he wants to marry his brother Ben someday.

Umm, no can do, buddy.