Maybe I’m just not a bulk sort of girl

by DaniGirl on April 30, 2007 · 18 comments

in It IS all about me

After years of listening to friends rave about Costco, I took advantage of a deal that knocked $20 off the price of a membership and signed up online. Today, we took our first trip.

I swear, I must be the only person in North America who can walk into a Costco and walk out with nothing but a bag of milk and two loaves of bread.

1 crazymumma April 30, 2007 at 1:58 am

We watched this awesomely bad/good movie the other night called Idiocracy.
Since watching I have been walking around saying “Welcome to Cosco, I Love You”. Gotta see it I suppose, but I am so lame I just keep cracking myself up….

2 Barbara April 30, 2007 at 2:10 am

Cosco is fabulous when the kids are in diapers, as long as they stock the diapers you use. I saved the equivalent of membership when Reid was small – until they switched brands and I didn’t. Sigh. If you buy enough milk, though …

3 Marla April 30, 2007 at 2:45 am

Shopping at those places turns me into Hank Hill. I keep thinking I’m going to run into Chuck Mangione in some triple digit aisle.

4 liz April 30, 2007 at 4:20 am

How did you do it? Seriously. How did you fight the call of the inexpensive undies and pjs?

5 Lara April 30, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Photo developing and books are where we spend the bulk of our money at Costco. That and the occasional box of cards because I am the worst card-buyer ever. ๐Ÿ™‚ We almost never buy food.
It might just take you a few trips to get the hang of spending way more money than you intended when you walked in the door.

6 BeachMama April 30, 2007 at 12:42 pm

You mean you didn’t go and pick up a pack of Steak(tenderloin)?? They have the best steak ever. We use our membership mostly for dog food, and some days that is all I buy. But every now and then when we get some great deals (books, workout clothes, dress shirts for hubby…).

7 Kerry April 30, 2007 at 1:25 pm

Just wait… you too will get sucked into the ridiculously good deals on capris, tshirts, undies and other such stuff.

8 Loukia April 30, 2007 at 1:47 pm

We go there to stock up on cleaning supplies, and some food, but especially BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS! The prices are amazing, way better than Chapters!

9 suze April 30, 2007 at 4:18 pm

Mike can do it. But I can’t avoid the call of the cheap books. CHEAP BOOKS! And big packs of gum.

10 Jay April 30, 2007 at 4:19 pm

OMG. If I walk out of there with less than $100 it is a bloody miracle! But when shopping for a family of 6….. it’s a little different. We buy all of our milk there,(5 bags a week), and save an enormous amount on that alone. Lunch snacks, bread… and then there is the middle section. ๐Ÿ™‚ Our membership pays for itself.

11 Domestic_Goddess April 30, 2007 at 5:29 pm

I am so keen on Costco. We go a couple of times a month to stock up on ground beef and chicken. You have to buy bulk, but then I package meat in 1 pound portions and freeze them. Other things like cheese strings and turkey pepperoni sticks are fantastically cheap compared to our other grocery stores, so we buy them too. We don’t go crazy wild though at Costco. We go for what we go for, and that’s it. I can’t afford to ‘browse’.
I didn’t use to think it was a big deal either, of find it very effective in terms of cost cutting. Now that I’ve taken time to figure out what I can save money on, I am ALL over it.

12 trixie April 30, 2007 at 6:38 pm

Ha! Amateur! The other day my sister asked me, as I was heading out the door to her place, if could spare the loaner of some Windex. Spare some Windex? I shop at Costco: I have 2 five litre jugs of Windex! And we’re looking into this whole “Emergency Preparedness” plan–food and water on hand for 12 weeks? That’s one trip to Costco. We’re covered. You’ll get the hang of it!

13 Sharon April 30, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Nope i can do it too. Sometimes things just don’t amuse me there.

14 Renee April 30, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Same here. I’m a bad bulk shopper. I do the same thing if I go to the Sam’s Club here.

15 Sara April 30, 2007 at 7:58 pm

You deserve a medal.
Seriously PC won’t allow me to have my own membership card because he knows how dangerous it is. The two of us together are bad enough, but we try to talk the other one down from the bulk purchases. However, sometimes when one person wants a big ticket item, the other one consents so that they too can get a bulk item of their choice!!!!
It’s a vicious cycle.

16 Amanda May 1, 2007 at 10:49 pm

I am all about Costco. We buy milk, meat, rotisserie chicken, their pizzas are awesome at $7.99 for the equiv. of an XL to order out. I can almost never get out of there less than $100. Hubby calls is the door tax. But, we’re buying for 5, soon to be 6.

17 nancy May 2, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Loser.

18 scatteredmom May 6, 2007 at 7:58 pm

I’m the same way, Dani. Except I don’t really shop at Costco because it requires a $65 ferry ride.