Apparently the sickly iPod was contagious

by DaniGirl on February 7, 2007 · 56 comments

in Rants and rambles

In yesterday’s comments, Madeleine assured me that the dead iPod, the dead cordless phone and the sketchy Blogger connection were my technological ‘three’, and that my week should improve from there. You know, bad things happen in threes?

I wish.

I got home from work and ran the dishwasher while I was making dinner. By the time dinner was ready, the dishwasher had run, but for the second day in a row, there was water in the bottom of it. This time, the water filled the entire bottom of the dishwasher to a depth of 10 to 15 cm.

Crap.

So I hauled out our trusty home repair book, and even found the owner’s manual for the dishwasher, neither of which were helpful. I called for a service appointment, because despite my pretentions otherwise, what do I know from appliance repair? To their credit, they are able to come by tomorrow, the only day of the week Beloved is home with the boys.

But the real indignity is that I still had a dinner’s worth of dishes to wash. By hand. Oh, the humanity.

I haven’t washed dishes by hand for a good four years. Washing dishes was one of my jobs from the time I was about eight years old, and man how I hated washing dishes. Washing dishes by hand is for chumps.

And to make matters worse, I made bake-permanent-sticky-sauce-to-the-dish chicken and burn-the-bottom-of-the-pot risotto for dinner. I even used a collander, for the love of god. A collander! Had I known I would be washing the dishes by hand, we would have ordered pizza and eaten it from the cardboard box.

I even had (brace yourself) an apron on. Me, the domestic anti-goddess, in an apron washing dishes by hand. Surely it’s one of the eight signs of the apocalypse.

Civilized homes should not be without functioning dishwashers. I would give up the oven and the clothes dryer before I gave up the dishwasher – and maybe the microwave, seeing as how Tristan doesn’t eat food any warmer than room temperature anyway. But for the love of all things holy, don’t mess with my dishwasher.

1 Not So Little Sister February 7, 2007 at 2:00 pm

I will only be a dish washing chump for another three weeks until we move into our new house with a dishwasher!! I, too, hate washing dishes and unfortunately Husband and I have an agreement. He cooks, I wash. It sucks. Anyway, here’s hoping that’s it for you!

2 Not So Little Sister February 7, 2007 at 2:00 pm

3 Not So Little Sister February 7, 2007 at 2:00 pm

4 Not So Little Sister February 7, 2007 at 2:00 pm

5 Phantom Scribbler February 7, 2007 at 2:01 pm

šŸ˜† It was the colander that really killed me. I have so been there, baby! I know how to drain pasta using just the pot lid, because I am NOT washing a colander.
Shall I come over and wash the breakfast dishes? It hasn’t been that long since we got our New! Dishwasher! I still have all of my mad hand-washing skillz.

6 Phantom Scribbler February 7, 2007 at 2:01 pm

7 Phantom Scribbler February 7, 2007 at 2:01 pm

8 Phantom Scribbler February 7, 2007 at 2:01 pm

9 Trixie February 7, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Ha! Sam’s kitchen craft cupboard is exactly the size of a dishwasher, and I’ve long been envisioning ripping out all that imagination-enriching construction paper, stickers, pipecleaners, and paints and installing the Dish-o-Matic 3000. Who gets to 40 without ever owning this wonder appliance? (As you say Dani, “Chumps!”, that’s who!). That’s it! — the countdown is on.

10 Trixie February 7, 2007 at 2:18 pm

11 Trixie February 7, 2007 at 2:18 pm

12 Trixie February 7, 2007 at 2:18 pm

13 Madeleine February 7, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Oh, Dani. I’m so sorry for the false hope. Like Phantom, the colander is also making me giggle. I feel the same way. There are days I spend endless time draining with the pot lid to avoid that colander.
And curiously, this is the EXACT problem I had with my dishwasher, that I whined about a couple of weeks ago. Water in the bottom. I’ll save your other readers the tedium and email you the long and boring saga. I wrote most of it up for my mom already . . .

14 Madeleine February 7, 2007 at 2:53 pm

15 Madeleine February 7, 2007 at 2:53 pm

16 Madeleine February 7, 2007 at 2:53 pm

17 Renee February 7, 2007 at 3:18 pm

I’m still amazed that I grew up without a dishwasher in our house AND the first 6 years of my marriage in our little house. I depend on mind daily now. I hope yours miraculously fixes itself.

18 Renee February 7, 2007 at 3:18 pm

19 Renee February 7, 2007 at 3:18 pm

20 Renee February 7, 2007 at 3:18 pm

21 mrsgryphon February 7, 2007 at 4:20 pm

I’ve always maintained that I would be divorced by now if we didn’t have a dishwasher. That’s how much we both HATE washing dishes (and, sadly, how much we argued about it!). Buying a dishwasher was a small price to pay for saving our marriage šŸ™‚

22 mrsgryphon February 7, 2007 at 4:20 pm

23 mrsgryphon February 7, 2007 at 4:20 pm

24 mrsgryphon February 7, 2007 at 4:20 pm

25 Jenny F. Scientist February 7, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Oh dear. I think appliances-in-water must always be traumatic.
Alas, we have no dishwasher ourselves (in fact, our apartment doesn’t have counters or cabinets either- something wrong here) and are ALWAYS on the all-by-hand regimen. Fortunately the spouse washes practically all of them.

26 Jenny F. Scientist February 7, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Oh dear. I think appliances-in-water must always be traumatic.

27 Jenny F. Scientist February 7, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Oh dear. I think appliances-in-water must always be traumatic.

28 Jenny F. Scientist February 7, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Oh dear. I think appliances-in-water must always be traumatic.

29 Fryman February 7, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Hey D –
There must be bad dishwasher karma going around….ours made funny noises last week till M took apart the bottom (she’s the engineer, not me!) and found 2 pieces of plastic from a cup in the main drain. Only had to do one meal by hand, though.
What was worse was during the Vancouver ‘Turbid Water’ Fiasco, we weren’t allowed to use the dishwasher by order of the CIty Water Gods. I guess the standard dishwasher doesn’t heat water to the point that it killed all the microbugs that were in our water. Sheer hell having the appliance and not being able to use it, and having to pre boil your water to wash dishes. I had easier times washing up when I was camping!
FYI – For all you that have no idea what turbid water is…our resovoirs here on the Left Coast got so churned up during a couple of storms in the fall that our water ended up the color of that little bit of water left in your glass when you leave the last sip of Coke in it with an ice cube….you know what I mean, right? Anyway, it was full of bad bad bugs and was basically undrinkable and more or less untouchable for about 2 weeks+. NOT FUN!

30 Fryman February 7, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Hey D –

31 Fryman February 7, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Hey D –

32 Fryman February 7, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Hey D –

33 DaniGirl February 7, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Ah, but Fryman, did you wear an APRON? No wait, don’t answer that question. DO NOT answer that question!

34 DaniGirl February 7, 2007 at 6:04 pm

35 DaniGirl February 7, 2007 at 6:04 pm

36 DaniGirl February 7, 2007 at 6:04 pm

37 mamatulip February 7, 2007 at 7:06 pm

Amen! Second to the dishwasher is the washing machine…those two I can’t go without.

38 mamatulip February 7, 2007 at 7:06 pm

44 nancy February 7, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Apron!! You???!!!!
That made my day.
xo

45 BeachMama February 7, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Apron :).
My parents had the exact same thing happen. My father was able to clear the drain (about 10 times) and keep it going for about 3 months. Finally, after Christmas (thankfully) it gave up the ghost and no amount of attempting to clear the drain could get it working again. I wish you better fortune with your dishwasher.

46 BeachMama February 7, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Apron :).

47 BeachMama February 7, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Apron :).

48 BeachMama February 7, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Apron :).

49 Rebecca February 8, 2007 at 10:50 am

I don’t have space in my kitchen for a dishwasher šŸ™ I loathe washing dishes.

50 Rebecca February 8, 2007 at 10:50 am

I don’t have space in my kitchen for a dishwasher šŸ™ I loathe washing dishes.

51 Rebecca February 8, 2007 at 10:50 am

I don’t have space in my kitchen for a dishwasher šŸ™ I loathe washing dishes.

52 Rebecca February 8, 2007 at 10:50 am

I don’t have space in my kitchen for a dishwasher šŸ™ I loathe washing dishes.

53 DaniGirl February 8, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Rebecca – get a portable, and put it in place of the table. Tables are overrated. You can always eat in your lap!
An update, for those of you engrossed in the saga: it was a blocked drain. Apparently, you’re supposed to scrape and rinse dishes before stacking them precariously into the dishwasher. Hmphf. That’s almost as bad as washing by hand!

54 DaniGirl February 8, 2007 at 4:45 pm