The Hilarious House of Frightenstein

by DaniGirl on November 12, 2006 · 14 comments

in Life, the Universe and Everything

The boys are loving some of the classic (and excuse me while I use that term rather loosely) cartoon shows from my childhood. Scooby Doo and Garfield are both current favourites.

Early this morning, I checked the TV listings looking for Scooby Doo and instead, to my great delight, found a listing on the Space network for the Hilarious House of Frightenstein.

Do you remember this truly classic show? Along with Sesame Street and the Electric Company, it was one of my favourites. I clearly remember being awake before the rest of the house and watching HHF in the early morning light. (I guess the boys come by their early-rising tendencies honestly.)

A couple of months ago, when the Electric Company DVD boxed set came out, Beloved got a copy for me (for Mother’s Day!), but I have to admit that I remembered less than half of the sketches. Watching HHF this morning, though, it was hard to believe that it’s been more than 30 years since I’ve seen an episode. It was all just like I remembered it: Dr Pet Vet, the Grammar Slammer, Igor and the sloth, and bad poetry from Vincent Price. I was hoping to see the Wolfman Jack segment, but according to this Wikipedia entry, they haven’t been able to secure the musical rights and so have cut that segment out of the syndicated repeats.

Did you watch this when you were a kid? I had no idea it was Canadian until I read the Wiki entry – in fact, it was produced by CHCH in Hamilton, close enough to my home town of London to be in our original pre-cable 13 channel line-up along with Tiny Talent Time. (Ah, Tiny Talent Time… I’m sure my not-so-latent need for media attention somehow relates to the thwarted desires of my inner six-year-old to be on Tiny Talent Time.)

We watched about 20 minutes of HHF this morning before the boys got restless and started asking to see the copy of Cars we rented for the weekend. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that Count Frightenstein doesn’t measure up to Lightning McQueen… but I am a little disappointed.

Maybe I’ll set the VCR for next Sunday morning and watch a few episodes after the boys go to bed. Nostalgia rocks!

What shows from your childhood would you watch today?

1 BubandPie November 12, 2006 at 6:48 pm

Tiny Talent Time!
HOW I wanted to be on that show!
As for today, I suspect that TTT would be torture to watch, but I always love to sit down for a visit with Mr. Rogers.

2 BubandPie November 12, 2006 at 6:48 pm

Tiny Talent Time!
HOW I wanted to be on that show!

3 Batman November 12, 2006 at 8:19 pm

I loved the Hilarious House of Frightenstein! I was also a big fan of the Kroft Super Show (Speed Buggy, HR Puffenstuff, etc).
Dani, I sent you a present. Check your email.

4 Batman November 12, 2006 at 8:19 pm

Dani, I sent you a present. Check your email.

5 nancy November 12, 2006 at 8:40 pm

Never heard of Tiny Talent or Frightenstein.
I would likely watch Sesame street, oh wait, we do sometimes!
Me? Bugs Bunny Show. Roadrunner always my fave. Looking to borrow DVD at library to share with the youth in our house.
OH, and Flintstones. Never appreciated all the grown-up innuendos and wanna see them all.

6 nancy November 12, 2006 at 8:40 pm

Never heard of Tiny Talent or Frightenstein.
I would likely watch Sesame street, oh wait, we do sometimes!

7 Sue November 12, 2006 at 8:53 pm

Count Duckula was the best show ever. It’s out on DVD now too!

8 Sue November 12, 2006 at 8:53 pm

Count Duckula was the best show ever. It’s out on DVD now too!

9 DaniGirl November 13, 2006 at 12:20 am

Batman, package received! I’m just waiting for the boys to go to bed so I can watch it in peace – thanks!!
We had the same taste in TV shows – I almost mentioned my other fave show was Land of the Lost, also a Syd and Marty Kroft show. Loved all of their stuff!

10 DaniGirl November 13, 2006 at 12:20 am

11 mrsgryphon November 13, 2006 at 2:49 am

I miss the Smurfs (Gargamel!) and, while he would annoy me to no end now, the “Friendly Giant” with Jerome and Rusty was a perennial favourite – in the line-up just before Mr.Dressup and Sesame Street ๐Ÿ™‚

12 mrsgryphon November 13, 2006 at 2:49 am

13 Jen November 13, 2006 at 3:06 am

That’s awesome. I loved that show! Vincent Price was married to my aunt’s aunt so, like, it’s basically “the family show” (searching for irony emoticon…)
And thanks for the heads up on the Electric Co DVD. Awesome!

14 Ed November 13, 2006 at 6:34 pm

I remember watching TTT as I was growing up. Mom would put the t.v. on Ch. 11 every Sunday at 4:00 just to watch it. I even remember watching it one day and seeing one of my school friends on there with his younger brother and they were both playing the accordian.
And of course House of Frightenstein with Billy Van and Vincent Price (he actually only filmed 2 or 3 times while here in Hamilton. He would film a whole pile of little clips for the show in one day then leave and not return for quite awhile.)
Great thread