Am I having a seizure or is that burnt popcorn I smell?

by DaniGirl on May 6, 2006 · 16 comments

in Uncategorized

Let’s say, hypothetically speaking, that someone (or say – somebody’s husband) burned the holy crap out of a bag of microwave popcorn by accidentally hitting the wrong setting on the microwave. And say said popcorn got so thoroughly crisped that smoke came out the back of the microwave and stained the entire inside of the microwave. And say it was three days later and no matter what you do, you absolutely cannot get the smell of burnt popcorn out of the house.

What would you do?

We’ve tried airing it out, scrubbing it down, and even boiling a large bowl of water with orange slices in it. We’re now down to burning candles around the house to try to kill the smell.

Any ideas?

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Marla May 6, 2006 at 9:37 pm

Dear Kettle,
You’re not the only one who wonders…
Except normal people google it instead of writing a post about it! But as I’m one for the cheap blog fodder lately…

2 Roby May 6, 2006 at 11:16 pm

I would say burn something else in the microwave. Maybe something more fragrant and nicer smelling. ๐Ÿ˜›
No one said I was very good for my advice.

3 nancy May 7, 2006 at 12:48 am

Go shopping.

4 DaniGirl May 7, 2006 at 12:48 am

Dear SmartAss,
I did a google search after I wrote this post, and came up with 5 Jerri Ann May 7, 2006 at 2:07 am

I hope you post when you figure it out!

6 wolfa May 7, 2006 at 5:24 am

There’s this weird stuff you can get in grocery stores or big home hardwarey stores, in like a small margarine tub size, filled with black or black and blue . . . stuff. It gets rid of any smell at all. (I’ve seen it at: Loblaws, Home Depot, Reno Depot, Rona. It does not appear to be available at Canadian Tire.) You just open it and leave it in the smelly place for about a day. It’s miraculous — cleaned out my fridge, my freezer, and the old spice cabinet which smelled so much I couldn’t use the kitchen/living/dining areas.
Sometimes just baking soda (or with vinegar) works, but when it doesn’t, this stuff is the stuff to get. (No clue what it’s called. Sorry.)

7 Miche May 7, 2006 at 1:29 pm

Charcoal is very good at absorbing smells (hence the charcoal filters in portable HEPA filter machines).
Maybe if you put 6 or 7 charcoal briquettes in the microwave overnight? (Just don’t run the microwave with the briquettes inside — don’t know what that would do.)

8 andrea from the fishbowl May 7, 2006 at 2:43 pm

I’ve boiled a small bowl of vinegar and lemon juice in the offending microwave…. and let it go for a few minutes until it creates condensation on the inside.
After wipedown it took out smells. Although admittedly I haven’t tried this with burned popcorn.
Good luck, and let us know what worked.

9 jo(e) May 7, 2006 at 2:57 pm

I have a cat that just got sprayed by a skunk that I could lend you. I guarantee that you won’t even notice the burned popcorn smell once you bring this cat into your house.

10 Marla May 7, 2006 at 3:21 pm

Dear Smoky,
This happened because you need to repent.
Please use it as an opportunity to examine your relationship with the powers that be.
Holier Thanthou

11 Marla May 7, 2006 at 3:35 pm

Dear Sinnr,
Thanks to yous, I have now spend too much time lookig at other burned up popcorn places. Like this one: and all the things he linkz to too.
I hope you unnerstand that I don’t have time to spend on a Sunday morning looking at proof that you need to talk to GOD more and then you won’t be smited as such.
NOw go forth and burn popcorn no more. SINNERZ!
Angel Blessedpants

12 liz May 7, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Andrea from the fishbowl said what I was going to.

13 DaniGirl May 8, 2006 at 12:54 am

*drops gauntlet, runs screaming*
Note to self: don’t ever get into a google duel with Marla. For an hour I ignored my family while I furiously googled various combinations of seemingly innocuous and clever keywords, trying to comeback with something as even remotely bent as the “burnt microwave popcorn salvation” link, and I have visisted sites no person who lives outside his mother’s basement should see.
I am defeated. I hang my head in shame. I am not up to the challenge.

14 Marla May 8, 2006 at 2:56 pm

(cackles madly, and runs off to high five her other personalities)

15 yvonne May 8, 2006 at 5:23 pm

Move. And sell WITH appliance. ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Danigirl May 8, 2006 at 6:53 pm

You know what the funny post script is?
About a week after we bought the microwave, I was really peeved because the plastic over the number pad started to crease and pucker. It got progressively worse over the three, probably four years we got it, and was always a bit of an annoyance – but never enough to impell me to bring the microwave back to the store.
When Beloved was cleaning the yellow goop off the inside of the microwave, he noticed it for the first time – and peeled the “remove upon delivery to customer” plastic protector off the keypad. D’oh! It’s so lovely and smooth now, if you don’t mind the scorch marks.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: