On respect and props, Canadian-style

by DaniGirl on March 31, 2006 · 28 comments

There’s an old axiom in the world of Canadian entertainment, especially in the music industry, that you won’t make it big at home until you earn acclaim elsewhere. Canadians generally refuse to acknowledge home-grown talent as worthy until our American cousins take notice. Bryan Adams, for instance, or the Barenaked Ladies are good examples of this. Sarah McLachlan, even.

My husband continues to be mildly perplexed by my blogging habit. (This is not a non-sequiter. It all comes together – wait for it.) He is, however, generally tolerant of it. For most of last year, he wasn’t even reading it until I made blog our computer’s home page.

Last night when I got home, I went straight upstairs to relieve myself of my uncooperative pants. Beloved followed me and we discussed snippets of our day. I was about to launch into a reduced version of my epic tale of a malcontent zipper when he interrupted me and said, “I know, I read about it” – as he gave a single tug that mysteriously freed the zipper from whatever paralysis it was suffering as if there had never been an obstruction in the first place.

“Oh, you read it?” I said. Pause. “Did you think it was funny?” (I am so needy for praise sometimes, I disgust even myself.)

“Yeah,” he began, “but I can’t believe you wrote about being stuck in the bathroom. It was really long but I actually read it all the way through.” I am still trying to decide whether there is a compliment in here somewhere as he continues. “Usually, I only read the first little bit and then skip ahead to the comments .”

Ahhhh, it’s so much clearer now. “So,” I say, “you only go back and read the posts that everybody ELSE thinks are worthy. So that’s how it is, is it?”

But I am talking to myself. He has rolled his eyes and walked away. I can’t help but laugh.

1 Batman March 31, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Beloved did the right thing…when faced with a trick question (or a question for which there is no right answer), the best thing to do is walk away. The real question of course is…do you walk away slowly or quickly and how far do you go?

2 Batman March 31, 2006 at 2:20 pm

3 JoJo March 31, 2006 at 2:25 pm

It’s hard for a Leo to be married to a Sagitarius, isn’t it?

4 JoJo March 31, 2006 at 2:25 pm

It’s hard for a Leo to be married to a Sagitarius, isn’t it?

5 nancy March 31, 2006 at 2:31 pm

Hi Beloved!!! At least I know you’ll read all of what I write. Perhaps I’ll start blogging in here.
Nah. But now I definitely need to put the BNL on the CD player this morning.

6 nancy March 31, 2006 at 2:31 pm

Nah. But now I definitely need to put the BNL on the CD player this morning.

7 Renee March 31, 2006 at 2:43 pm

Even the husband is a comment junkie?! Funny. Glad you got the pants off.

8 Renee March 31, 2006 at 2:43 pm

Even the husband is a comment junkie?! Funny. Glad you got the pants off.

9 Phantom Scribbler March 31, 2006 at 2:57 pm

So BNL is only respected because we’re playing them on the stereo, too? How funny. Well I suppose it’s always that way. Boston-based talent never feels like they’ve made it until New York takes notice.
My husband doesn’t read my blog, either, Dani. But that’s ok, because that means I don’t have to read his, where the posts are much longer, and there are 50 commenters yelling at each other. However, if his was as funny as your blog is, I would definitely be reading it….

10 Phantom Scribbler March 31, 2006 at 2:57 pm

11 Marla March 31, 2006 at 2:58 pm

I am trying to think about everything I have ever said in the comments in case I should ever meet Beloved.
Uh oh.

12 Marla March 31, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Uh oh.

13 Danigirl March 31, 2006 at 3:28 pm

** laughing very hard ** at all of you.
Phantom, Mr Blue has a blog? I had no idea!

14 Danigirl March 31, 2006 at 3:28 pm

** laughing very hard ** at all of you.
Phantom, Mr Blue has a blog? I had no idea!

15 Beanie Baby March 31, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Hmm. I’m usually the opposite. I loved BNL until they made it Stateside–now I don’t like ’em anymore. And I will swear up and down that it has nothing to do with the fame factor, that it’s because their style changed, but there you have it.
I’m trying to figure out how much trouble I can get you into now that I know Beloved reads the comments…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

16 Beanie Baby March 31, 2006 at 4:50 pm

17 Heather March 31, 2006 at 5:05 pm

The second I have a new post up I let the boy know and bug him incessantly about whether it’s funny/good. I won’t leave him alone until he says something about it. I’m not sure why he indulges my approval seeking but he always does.

18 Heather March 31, 2006 at 5:05 pm

19 Stephanie March 31, 2006 at 7:01 pm

hehe, funny hubby. At least he is taking (or forced to take) an interest in something important to you.
I love Bryan Adams, BNL, and Sarah Mclachlan.

20 Stephanie March 31, 2006 at 7:01 pm

I love Bryan Adams, BNL, and Sarah Mclachlan.

21 Miche March 31, 2006 at 7:52 pm

Dani and Phantom: ditto here. Mr. Miche doesn’t read my blog (why read it when I get the podCast version live at dinner?) unless someone or something exciting has happened in the comments section.

22 Miche March 31, 2006 at 7:52 pm

23 twinmomplusone April 1, 2006 at 4:23 am

glad to hear Beloved is skilled in the art of removing wife’s pants ๐Ÿ˜‰
as for his comments…”men!” (eyes rolling)

24 twinmomplusone April 1, 2006 at 4:23 am

glad to hear Beloved is skilled in the art of removing wife’s pants ๐Ÿ˜‰
as for his comments…”men!” (eyes rolling)

25 Kris April 1, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Ha! I am so needy for praise sometimes that I disgust myself too. I just had my mother read a job application I wrote. When she said nothing I was all, “So, did it sound OK???”
Brian never reads my blog either. I won blogging for books in 2004 and I think to this day he hasn’t read the winning entry. If he did he never mentioned it
I love the idea of making the blog the home page. I should do that right now and write an April Fool’s joke just for him. ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Kris April 1, 2006 at 11:57 pm

27 helene April 2, 2006 at 12:05 am

LOL- my hubby does the same thing. He enjoys reading the comments more than the posts ๐Ÿ™‚

28 helene April 2, 2006 at 12:05 am