TV or not TV

by DaniGirl on March 26, 2006 · 10 comments

It’s a quarter to seven on Sunday morning, and we’ve been up for about an hour now. I’ve read the best bits out of the Sunday paper and had a cup of coffee. It’s an ordinary Sunday morning in most respects, except…

…the TV is off. Every single morning, whatever parent is on call (we take turns on the weekend, and it’s Beloved during the week while I get ready for work) comes downstairs, makes a cup of chocolate milk and a little bowl of raisins and dried cereal for each boy to snack on, and turns on the TV.

Sadly, many mornings we are awake even before TVO (the Ontario version of PBS, with commercial-free kids programming) starts its broadcast day, so usually the boys pick from among their collection of DVDs and video tapes. We have a lot, from Thomas the Tank Engine to Blues Clues to Pingu to Baby Einstein. And the TV will be on from the time the first child wakes up until breakfast, and sometimes beyond. The TV often gets left on for hours as background noise, especially on the mornings Beloved is in charge. I am conflicted on the TV issue, but Beloved is not.

And yet this morning, we have been up for more than an hour, and the boys have not yet asked me to turn it on. These boys, creatures of habit to an even greater degree than their routine-obsessed mother, have yet to notice the absence of the noise from the corner.

You know what the really weird part is? They’re playing nicely – together. That alone is remarkable. Could it be coincidence?

I’m not sure if I have the intestinal fortitude to draw any battle lines in the house on when the idiot box can be on and when it must be turned off, especially if the lion’s share of maintenance will fall on Beloved’s shoulders, when Beloved doesn’t buy in to the theory that there is such a thing as too much TV.

Well, there you go. We’ve been up for about 80 minutes, and as I type Tristan is requesting Mighty Machines. I’m not sure whether I want to take a stand on this one or not…

1 Marla March 26, 2006 at 2:20 pm

And right now, we are living through Josie repeatedly turning off Coronation Street, saying “I don’t like Daddy’s show.” (The ONE show he watches on TV. Ever.)
Since it’s now 9:18 ish by my clock, I vote if it’s not too late, turn it on and blog more so I feel less guilty about my own situation.

2 Marla March 26, 2006 at 2:20 pm

3 SHANNON March 26, 2006 at 2:39 pm

I think the Great to much TV debate will never be resolved:)

4 SHANNON March 26, 2006 at 2:39 pm

I think the Great to much TV debate will never be resolved:)

5 Phantom Scribbler March 26, 2006 at 3:23 pm

Yes, yes, yes! My husband could not possibly care less about how much TV the kids watch. If he brings them down in the mornings, the TV goes on and stays on pretty much for the rest of the day. If I bring them down, it doesn’t go on unless everyone asks for it. But I feel four times as guilty for letting them watch half as much TV. Even though they don’t even pay attention to it half the time.

6 Phantom Scribbler March 26, 2006 at 3:23 pm

7 Bobita March 26, 2006 at 10:38 pm

I know your struggle. And have asked the same (are they playing nicely together because the TV is not on?) question. And Irreverent Husband and I go ’round and ’round about the TV…
I have noticed that my son, whom I believe is afflicted with ADHD (YIKES!) becomes VERY aggitated if he has watched too much or a certain kind of tv…I actually got a mini-tramp for him. He can only watch one of his shows if he is jumping on the mini-trampoline! It is amazing! He watches less tv, but he is also less aggitated after watching!

8 Bobita March 26, 2006 at 10:38 pm

9 Stephanie G March 27, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Enjoy the silence and maybe see if works tomorrow too!
If it doesn’t it isn’t like you out anything.

10 Stephanie G March 27, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Enjoy the silence and maybe see if works tomorrow too!
If it doesn’t it isn’t like you out anything.