A Thinking Blogger – that’s me!

by DaniGirl on February 23, 2007 · 16 comments

in It IS all about me, Memes, Meta-blogging

I’ve been had an honour bestowed upon me which is also a tag, a meme that is an award. Because you know this motherhood thing? It’s all about the multitasking. The clever, witty and insightful Mad Hatter has kindly tagged me with the Thinking Blogger’s Award.

Nice, eh? She nominated me on the basis of my little rant on child care, but she said that it was your comments, from all points on the political spectrum, which increased the “think factor.” I’ve long known this little blog of mine wouldn’t be half the fun it is if it weren’t for you guys, so we can share this little award.

And speaking of sharing, it’s all about the sharing. Now I’m supposed to come up with five other Thinking Bloggers worthy of nomination. Except at least three of my favourites have already been tagged. Am I allowed to repeat? No? Okay, but I’m a little behind on my blog reading and this is spreading like the flu through preschool, so I hope I’m quick enough.

First off, I’d like to tag Phantom Scribbler. I heart Phantom. She has a way of using her own life as a lens to examine some weighty issues, and while she’s opinionated as hell, she’s never didactic. I like that in a smart blogger. But I’m nominating her for this particular honour because of a recent post written in response to a recent article in New York Magazine called the “Power (and Peril) of Praising Your Kids.” I thought the idea of over-praising your kids was totally bogus until I read her post and the subsequent comments from the Pixies. One of many, many posts that I’ve found myself contemplating long after my browser window was closed.

Next, I’d like to tag Kerry at Popwatch Canada for her post on religion a week or so back. She also posts great Grey’s Anatomy recaps, and has an obsession with Justin Timberlake that continues to perplex me, but threaded through the shiny bits about pop culture, Kerry blogs some pretty interesting ideas and opinions. And I’m not just saying that because she writes my performance reviews, or because my boys are both in love with her and she may yet end up to be my daughter-in-law some day.

My next nomination goes not to a particular post, but to the blog The Smartmouth Mombie in general. For starters, I love any blog with a permanent preamble that says something like “This is what a feminist writes like.” Like the other blogs I’ve tagged so far, Chris strikes a lovely balance between weighty thought pieces and ‘minutiae of mothering’ pieces.

Sadly, my next nominee has gone on temporary hiatus. Angry Pregnant Lawyer is freshly back at work after maternity and painfully sleep deprived. I already miss her quick wit and cutting sarcasm, and I have learned a lot about American culture and politics from her. And yes, that’s a compliment!

And finally, my last tag goes to JF Scientist at A Natural Scientist. I’ve only just started reading this blog, but Jenny writes, according to her tag line, about “science, education, feminism and religion.” I love love love her “ask a scientist” series, and the incredibly wide scope of her posts. I never know what I’ll find when I drop by, but I am assured I’ll learn something – often something I didn’t know I needed to know, but sure enough, turns out I did.

Wow, this was way harder than I thought. I tried to wander away from my usual favourites with this process. Thanks again to Mad Hatter for nominating me, and if reading my nominees makes you crave even more thinking bloggers, there’s five more back at Mad Hatter’s place, and five more at Bub and Pie’s place, too. I’m not going to get any work done at this rate!

1 Phantom Scribbler February 23, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Isn’t Jenny wonderful? I think we should all lobby her to go into science journalism if the lab rat life doesn’t work out.
Thanks for the tag, Dani. You know I heart you, too!

2 Phantom Scribbler February 23, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Thanks for the tag, Dani. You know I heart you, too!

3 mad_hatter February 23, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Dang. That’s two long-winded comments I’ve lost today.
Just wanted to say “thanks” for this great list of links–none of whom I’ve ever read. I just finished one of the posts (at work) and it was splendid. I will be back tonight when I am off the clock (both work and parenting) to investigate the rest.
Yes, yes, I do like the affiliative nature of this award/meme. It is leading me to good places.

4 mad_hatter February 23, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Dang. That’s two long-winded comments I’ve lost today.

5 Jenny F. February 23, 2007 at 5:53 pm

Awww! Thanks, Dani! [Blush]
I do love reading what you write about life and everything else; I’m so glad to ‘meet’ smart women, even if only virtually.
(And don’t fear. I am running, not walking, away from the lab life!)

6 Jenny F. February 23, 2007 at 5:53 pm

Awww! Thanks, Dani! [Blush]
(And don’t fear. I am running, not walking, away from the lab life!)

7 cinnamon gurl February 23, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Wow… Lots to check out here! I think this is becoming one of my favourite memes of all times.

8 cinnamon gurl February 23, 2007 at 6:57 pm

9 BubandPie February 23, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Sigh. What wonderful links, all of them new to me. Thanks.

10 BubandPie February 23, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Sigh. What wonderful links, all of them new to me. Thanks.

11 APL February 24, 2007 at 1:40 am

Thank you!!! (She said, yawning.) I will have to bookmark these links and read them when I get the chance.

12 APL February 24, 2007 at 1:40 am

13 Chris (Mombie) February 24, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Dani! You have no idea how thrilled I am to be linked in this post. Thank you so much.
Now I have to post more often.

14 Chris (Mombie) February 24, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Now I have to post more often.

15 Shelley February 26, 2007 at 7:33 am