In which her baby continues to refuse to be born

by DaniGirl on February 5, 2008 · 39 comments

in Postcards from my uterus

Okay, seriously? This is not so funny any more.

My induction was canceled. Tomorrow doesn’t look very promising, either. And of course, there is a stunning absence of any sign that this baby might make his own way out into the world.

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry at this point. I’m not even sure what my more rational options are. The midwife will call this hospital again this afternoon to see what the situation looks like for Wednesday and Thursday, but she sounded pretty doubtful. Because I’m not a “priority” (and only a baby way overdue or in distress will make me one, despite his massive girth) there’s not much to be done. She said I can come by the office later this afternoon for another “stretch and sweep” but since the first one didn’t do much, I’m not holding out much hope there.

She really surprised me by saying that if I’m desperate for the induction, she can transfer my care to an OB and they can schedule the induction at one of the larger hospitals in town, where the midwives don’t have privileges, but I’m just not sure that’s the right course. At least, not right now.

I’m only worried about the health of the baby at this point. I can wait it out if he can. The only thing I’m going to push for today is an ultrasound to make sure he’s still doing alright in there, as I haven’t had one since just before Christmas. (With Simon, they deemed me ‘high risk’ because of his size when I went past 40 weeks, and I was having ultrasounds every second day. I realize the high risk designation would also take me out of my midwife’s care and into an OB situation, but I think one ultrasound is a reasonable request. She said we could discuss further this afternoon after she’s had a chance to talk to the hospital again and when I go in for the SNS, but said their ‘protocol’ definitely calls for one when I’m 41 weeks. I don’t think I want to wait for Friday for this, though. Wait for the induction, fine if I must, but I want the reassurance of that ultrasound. They’ve got me too freaked out about his size — not getting him out, but just his general well-being in there.)

Sigh. I guess y’all get to enjoy yet another couple of days of me bitching about my uncooperative uterus. Lucky you.

{ 39 comments… read them below or add one }

1 nancy February 5, 2008 at 7:53 am

Oh No!!!! Not what I wanted to hear – poor you!!!

Try to enjoy last few moments of ‘quiet’ as much as you can…and heck, now we can finish our Scrabble game!!

2 nancy February 5, 2008 at 7:53 am

OMG OMG OMG this captcha is = forbidden out !!!!!

3 DaniGirl February 5, 2008 at 8:00 am

Nancy, that damn scrabble game is more torturous than the waiting!!! How many one-letter tiles can an already-angst-filled woman endure???

4 Anonymous February 5, 2008 at 8:01 am

I had a dream that I was having a home birth (not bloody likely), baby was crowning, and then woke up at 4:54am. I hoped that it was YOU giving birth at that indecent hour!

Sorry you have to keep waiting….I was monitored fairly often when I was post-due and my babies were always fine. Even after 3 days of labor they were fine. Sigh.

C’mon out, little boy!

5 Kate February 5, 2008 at 8:02 am

um, sorry, that was me!

6 Chris (Mombie) February 5, 2008 at 8:06 am

That sucks! And not in the good way.

Come on kid, time to move OUT!

7 Suzanne February 5, 2008 at 8:20 am

this is like a soap opera… try going for a massage today. good luck

8 Rebecca February 5, 2008 at 8:22 am

Oh no, that just stinks! But maybe TPTBNL will decide to come on his own today anyway. Maybe?

9 Shauna February 5, 2008 at 8:30 am

Oh geez. You poor thing. Hang in there.

10 Suz February 5, 2008 at 8:34 am

Oh no! I hope he decides to come out soon!

11 Casey February 5, 2008 at 8:36 am

Would you like my midwife’s recipe for a castor oil and blue/black cohosh smoothie?


Okay, then. Here’s something to pass the time:

12 Tracey February 5, 2008 at 8:44 am

You’ve got to be kidding me! Push for the ultrasound. When I was 5 days overdue, they sent me for an ultrasound and discovered that there was hardly any fluid left, so then it was off for an immediate induction. Carter was all wrinkly and dried out πŸ™‚

I hope you get the induction as soon as possible, but still within your Midwife’s care.

So crappy.

Captcha–Return Lunch (maybe you’ll be done by lunchtime!)

13 mamatulip February 5, 2008 at 8:44 am

Aw, Dani. That sucks. I definitely think you should push for an ultra sound.

Hang in there!!

14 Fryman February 5, 2008 at 8:45 am

D –

I told you weeks ago today would be the day…..and you know I’m always right. Ok, so I was wrong about New Kids on teh Block being the next Rolling Stones and the international appeal of the McRib sandwich, but could you blame me???

Thinking of you….


15 Marla February 5, 2008 at 8:50 am

Much as one can bring on a period one is nervous about missing in high school by wearing white pants on the day you have class with the guy you’re crushing on, can’t you tempt this baby to come by doing something that will guarantee his arrival at an inconvenient time? Like, right – schedule a massage. A really expensive one. Or, arrange to go have dinner with the hubs at the place of your dreams…

I’m just trying to help here. I can’t wait to meet TPTBNL.

16 trixie February 5, 2008 at 8:51 am

Soooooo sucky! At your point, I was quoting Jackie from the Roseanne show of yesteryear. “Relax?! I can’t relax! I have a four-day-old CHILD inside of me!”

Go see a matinee! It’s going to be a while….

And why can’t I get a cool captcha? Mine says “Guggenheim corned.”

17 Not So Little Sister February 5, 2008 at 9:07 am

Sorry, dear. I hope baby decides to make a speedy delivery soon…feel free to whine away. You are entitled. πŸ™‚

My captcha is the Jersey, but I don’t think that helps much. πŸ™

18 Sara February 5, 2008 at 9:13 am

WHile I never went overdue, I did have big kids (9 and 10 pounds respectively, born w/o induction on their due dates)…

He’s not growing that fast at this point! I know they like to toss numbers around a lot, but the weight isnt’ as big an issue as skull size, and that’s not changing very fast at this point. And – a lot of babies actually lose a little weight in the last few days before birth, so maybe he’s just getting down to fighting weight?

19 Veronica Mitchell February 5, 2008 at 9:34 am

Cancelling an induction is a cruel, cruel thing to do to a pregnant woman. You are handling it with way more grace than I would.

Captcha = Hooten F.

I have no idea what that means.

20 Chantal February 5, 2008 at 9:37 am

Oh Dani, I feel for you. With both my boys having been 7 days over due each I understand your pain. Hang in there!

21 DaniGirl February 5, 2008 at 9:52 am

My dearest bloggy friends, I just want to let you know that your comments are the only thing bolstering the frail twig that is my sanity right now, so thank you for that! That, and my captcha is “late feet”. I’m pretty sure that’s not all that is late!!

(Marla, you and I are once again on the same wave length. After a week of carefully selecting underwear suitable for dousing in amniotic fluid, I have switched back to my favourites and will take the plastic shopping bag – stashed to protect the new seats in case of flood – out of the van. Bring it!)

22 valerie February 5, 2008 at 9:53 am

are you still considering acupuncture? πŸ˜‰

I don’t think you should worry about the health of the baby due to size. Your midwives might be used to smaller babies, but you’ve had two big ones already – it’s obviously what you do. I know it’s hard, but try not to worry – he’ll be with you soon! πŸ™‚

23 andrea from the fishbowl February 5, 2008 at 10:22 am

You will look back at all of this (some day) and laugh at how much you worried. It’ll come baby. It’ll come.

Look at it this way: you can’t be pregnant forever, right?

[my captcha: “$1,000,00 1973” — that’s gotta mean something good.]

24 ali February 5, 2008 at 10:47 am

i was late with both my girls. it was HELL. i know how you feel! hugs!

25 alison February 5, 2008 at 10:49 am

Sending labour vibes your way. I’m hoping today is the day. I wonder if you and Beloved will have this much trouble convincing PTBNL to move out of the house some twenty years in the future.

Captcha: dancing how. Hey, have you tried dancing him out????

26 Lynn February 5, 2008 at 10:50 am

I feel your pain — every day after the due date feels like a million years. I hope you get your ultrasound and that all is well!

I have three kids myself — one an epidural, one drug-free, and one a C-section. I can definitely say that if you can manage the drug-free, it’s worth it — a more alert baby, and the recovery is a breeze.

If you do wind up having to have a C-section this time around…it’ll all be okay. It’s scary but not so bad in the end.

And lastly, let me add that when I predicted Feb 8th as your due date, I really did not think I had any kind of chance! I feel party responsible. Go ahead and blame me :).

27 Mama V February 5, 2008 at 11:34 am

Aw Dani…. I feel for you! I honestly think that we shouldn’t be given due dates… we all ovsess far too much about that mystical date, which, really… is just an educated guess… they should just give us a 2-3 week span to strive for instead!
I’m heading your way with a Gin & Tonic, a high-impact aerobics video and a bucket & sponge to srub the floors with….

28 Mad Hatter February 5, 2008 at 11:49 am

You keep coming up in my google reader and it’s making me pull my hair out. Listen here little baby boy. Get the hell out of your mother. NOW! You’ll make her snap if you keep this up.

29 liz February 5, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Sweet baby boy, come out! Come out!

I heard spicy food helps. (Captcha = “identified support”)

30 suze February 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I feel so sorry for my momma. I was supposed to be born on the 9th, but waited until the 25th. My brother was almost as evil by waiting 10 days.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the baby decides to come out very soon. And too am disappointed for you. I even thought this morning as I was on my way to work ‘Oh, Dani’s having the baby today. I wonder if she’s on her way to the hospital…’

It’s all my fault, I jinxed it for you =P

31 cinnamon gurl February 5, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I’m with Mad.

I’ve heard that you need to do a few stretch and sweeps for them to work, so it’s probably worth doing it again. And trust your gut on the ultrasound… you know best what you need.

And I hope removing the plastic bag from the van helps!!

32 jo(e) February 5, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Does this kid realize he’s driving all your blog fans crazy? I swear, I’ve been clicking on here, fully expecting a cute picture of a newborn for WEEKS now!

Come on, baby, time to get out!

33 Rev. Dr. Mom February 5, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Yes, I got out of a meeting and as soon as I got back to my computer I checked, feeing sure he’d be here.

Sorry. Hang in there.

(but think of the stories you can tell him later about how the blogosphere was awaiting his birth…)

34 Annika February 5, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I agree Dani…reassurance is the only way. Demand that ultrasound! Thinking of you (and desperately waiting for a pic of your baby). xoxoxoxoxo

35 Sue February 5, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Hold on Dani – any time now. Come on, little one, hurry up!!

36 bubandpie February 5, 2008 at 2:56 pm

I know this is absolute TORTURE for you, but my first reaction when I saw that the induction was cancelled was to be glad. Because I think you can do this without an induction and I want you to have that giddy feeling of going into labour on your own. And don’t worry about the baby – you’re not all that far past due so he’s fine. I don’t think size is as big of a deal as everyone thinks it is – my best friend’s first baby was 10 pounds, 12 ounces and she pushed him out on her own (with a virgin cervix at that). Pie was 9 lbs, 7 oz and she practically slid right out. Hang in there. It will be okay.

37 Sheila February 5, 2008 at 4:08 pm

I’m so sorry you have to wait some more. How frustrating! Ultrasound a good idea for momma’s peace of mind.
That Captcha thing now says “pension Boys” which sounds good, I guess… The boys will pay you a pension? yes! The boys will still be living at home when you’re on a pension? uh-oh… You will promise this boy a pension allowance from Day 1, if he will just hurry out to collect it? Hmmm.
Best wishes,

38 Lee February 5, 2008 at 4:35 pm


Captcha: optimism, au-

39 Shannon February 5, 2008 at 6:25 pm

This is so very exciting. I keep checking to see what has happened. I can’t wait to find out his name!!!! I hope he decides to come out soon.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: