One thousand (!)

by DaniGirl on November 14, 2007 · 19 comments

in Books, Editorial asides, Memes

Did you know that the letter A does not appear in the English spelling of any number lower than “one thousand”? Oh, the trivial gifts the Interwebs give to me.

One thousand. Like, a thousand words, or a Thousand Islands. Or, one thousand posts.

Yes, my bloggy peeps, this is my one-thousandth post. One thousand posts in not-quite 34 months. The mind boggles.

You know, I always wanted to be a writer, and I always knew that I had an easy style when it came to stringing words together — but I always feared I had nothing to write about. *snicker*

And now, in honour of my one-thousandth post, a couple of favourite subjects: Books! Memes! BOOK MEMES!!

(Thanks to Raising WEG, from whom I filched this one.)

This list is via the Guardian’s report of the top 20 books re-read by Britons. I’ve italicized those books I’ve read, and bold-faced the books I’ve read more than once.

1. The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
  15. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
  16. The Bible
  17. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  18. Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding
  19. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
  20. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Hmmm, so I’ve read a lot of books Britons like to read, but didn’t enjoy them enough to re-read them. These books, however, are the first five that come to mind when I think about books that I’ve read more than once, and sometimes more than twice:

1. Contact, by Carl Sagan
  2. Generation X, by Douglas Coupland
  3. Who Do You Think You Are, by Alice Munro
  4. The Shining, by Stephen King
  5. Shoeless Joe, by WP Kinsella

What books have you found worthy of re-reading?

1 bubandpie November 14, 2007 at 9:14 am

Wait. Wait. #3. #5. You forgot the italics???

*spluttering wordlessly*

*more spluttering*

I am speechless.

2 Loukia November 14, 2007 at 9:46 am

I’ve read these from the list:

Pride & Prejudice
The Hobbit
Jane Eyre
The Da Vinci Code
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
Wuthering Heights
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Flowers in the Attic
The Bible
Bridget Jones?s Diary

Just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany and wanted to re-read it right away! There are lots of books I’d consider re-reading, but have too many books I still want to read so I don’t re-read too often!

3 Lee November 14, 2007 at 10:05 am

One thousand posts?!?!!

I bow to thee.

4 alison November 14, 2007 at 10:05 am

A thousand! That’s amazing. Really. I was so proud of myself when I got to 100 posts, and you’ve done 1000. 1 K. I’m in awe. Keep ’em coming Dani.

5 Renee November 14, 2007 at 10:15 am

Wow, you’re a master poster. I hope to read (at least) 1000 more.

6 James November 14, 2007 at 10:26 am

Congratulations on hitting 1000!

Some books I’ve reread…

Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Catch-22
Great Gatsby
Blue Highways
Gilgamesh
Watership Down

7 Kathryn November 14, 2007 at 10:34 am

Congratulations on your 1000 posts! That is amazing!

8 twimomplusone November 14, 2007 at 10:56 am

yoo hoo! cheers to the first thousand and looking forward to the next thousand!!

I usually never re-read books but two that come to mind that I actually did over the years are The Drifters by James A. Michener and Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

9 patois November 14, 2007 at 1:25 pm

Wow, 1,000 of these puppies? Congratulations to you. And yet you still manage to find something to say. That’s a testament. BTW love the concept of the reCAPTCHA. When I read about it on your blog before, I went and did a couple of dozen words. Very cool.

10 Laura November 14, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Congrats on 1000!!!!

My list would include all of Bryce Courtenay, especially The Power of One and Tandia. oh, and Wally Lamb’s I know This much is true. And I have re-read Solomon Gersky Was Here, by M. Richler at least 10 times!

11 mamatulip November 14, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Congrats on the thousand!!

The book I’ve read repeatedly is Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. It’s brilliant.

12 Trixie November 14, 2007 at 8:14 pm

You’re right up there with the Arabian Nights! And if you continue to entertain, we won’t kill you either. The first re-reads that come to mind are Irving’s A Prayer for Owen Meany (echo Loukia), Richler’s St Urbain’s Horseman, same Munro as you, Vanderhaeghe’s My Present Age, my fave Hemingway – A Moveable Feast – (been a while!) and Lynch’s Exotic Dancers.

(I thought I could sign off without a sputter of my own, but — SERIOUSLY!? — Pride and Prejudice? Jane freakin’ Eyre? Get thee to a library! – {oh, I’m sorry: have you read Hamlet?!} 😉 For me, it’s Don Quixote. Apparently one cannot consider oneself a literary scholar without getting through it, and it keeps putting me to sleep… Not enough windmills).

13 Karen November 14, 2007 at 8:24 pm

One thousand …. that is amazing! Congratulations, that a great milestone!

14 DaniGirl November 14, 2007 at 9:08 pm

B&P and Trixie, it’s not that I haven’t meant to get around to reading Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre… I just haven’t had the opportunity. I promise, I’ll get around to them one of these days!! (And, Trixie, FWIW “Hamlet” is on my re-read list! My fave Shakespeare, I think.)

15 Kellan November 15, 2007 at 12:21 am

Congratulations on 1000 posts! That is amazing and there is certainly several books in there somewhere! Get on that! Way to go.

16 Barbara November 15, 2007 at 8:35 am

Congrats on the big one-oh-oh-oh! From your list I’ve read:
# The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling – many times
# The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien – twice
# The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien – at least twice
# 1984 by George Orwell – twice
# The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
# The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by CS Lewis – re-reading the series right now and will do it again when Reid is big enough
# Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
# To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee – not til I was grown and will have to reread it, soon
# Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews
# The Bible – parts of
# Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – the series, once

And my guilty re-reading pleasure is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon – history, time travel and romance – my weaknesses ;+)

17 jennyandtim November 16, 2007 at 8:13 am

Congratulations on 1,000 posts.

Some of the books I have read more than once:

A Confederacy of Dunces
The Bible
Roundball Culture
Shoeless Joe
What to Expect the First Year (at least parts)
A multitude of books for children (I shudder the think how many times I will have read Good Night Moon)

18 b*babbler November 16, 2007 at 12:04 pm

1,000 posts?

Holy crap!

And here I was all proud for having broken 50 posts. Ahem… 🙂

19 Mac and Cheese November 18, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Book memes frighten me because I don’t want anyone knowing how little I read. That being said, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy might be my favourite book EVER!!!!!!

ONE THOUSAND POSTS????