Twelve week update

by DaniGirl on October 23, 2006 · 14 comments

I’ve just been for my 12 week OB appointment and prenatal screening ultrasound. Baby looks lovely in every way!

The ultrasound tech was having a little trouble getting the images she needed because the baby was in an awkward position and seemed to be sleeping. She gave my stomach a jolt hard enough to leave a residual sore spot an hour later (I’ll stop worrying about damage from wayward preschooler elbows now) and my heart soared as the baby began to swim and dance on the screen. It’s easy to forget in these early days that there’s an actual baby in there with moving parts!

The tech pronounced the baby a docile soul, and wouldn’t that be a gift? Truly, the third child should by some cosmic law be the most docile and good-natured of the three, right? RIGHT?

I myself am doing equally well as we head into the second trimester. Although I haven’t had any actual morning sickness, my stomach has turned rather greasy and sour every day around 4 pm for the last month or so, lasting until bedtime. Not exactly the best time to be planning, making and eating dinner, let alone trying to accomplish domestic tasks and bedtime rituals. Thankfully, after feeling particularly crappy all last week, I’m feeling a whole hell of a lot better. Maybe there’s something to this ‘second trimester as honeymoon trimester’ after all.

The earliest we can find out whether this baby has indoor or outdoor plumbing is six weeks from now, and we officially have the ultrasound booked for December 4, first thing in the morning. It’s Beloved’s birthday – can you guess what he wants for his birthday?

Ugh, six more weeks. How do people go an entire pregnancy not knowing? I’ve said every time someone has asked me whether I want to know the gender that if I could pee on a stick in the morning to know I’m pregnant, I’d like to pee on a stick in the afternoon to know the gender.

Six more weeks…

1 Kate October 23, 2006 at 4:07 pm

I am like that on gender. How people go through 40 weeks not knowing I have no idea!
Although I have said before that if we go down the pregnancy road again, I want it to be a surprise–I will have to schedule a C-section, so there would be no other drama to the day. I do already have one of each though; I think that makes it different.
Glad everything is looking so good!

2 nancy October 23, 2006 at 5:14 pm

Dec 4 – Beloved wants another boy. Hope so, cause that’s my prediction.

3 Chantal October 23, 2006 at 5:19 pm

Numbere 3 was our easiest baby. She slept like a dream and rarely fussed. I would put her down on the floor to crawl around and 5 minutes later, she would be asleep. I hope the same for you. šŸ™‚
It’s no coincidence that she’s a girl. I say the same for you. Girl.

4 BubandPie October 23, 2006 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I’m getting a girl vibe from this baby too. šŸ˜‰
I’m the same way about finding out the sex – though I never thought of the pee-on-a-stick idea. That would really be ideal!

5 Sugarmama October 23, 2006 at 7:20 pm

A pregnant friend of mine was once asked why she wanted to know her child’s gender via ultrasound. “Didn’t she want to be surprised?” asked the querant. She replied, “I’ll just be surprised a little earlier!” That’s how I feel. Plus, you gotta get ready mentally, right? Even if your nursery would be the same color scheme or whatever?
Love the “indoor/outdoor plumbing,” by the way! Looking forward to hearing about it!

6 Batman October 23, 2006 at 9:06 pm

Danigirl, regarding your concerns about docile souls…I’m a third child. You can take that any way you like. lol.

7 Sally October 23, 2006 at 10:44 pm

I hope the weeks pass quickly for you! My dr. does the gender ultrasound between 24 and 28 weeks and it’s miserable waiting those extra weeks. I get so tired of people asking “do you know yet?” day after day. Hopefully we’ll both have little ones who cooperate on the day and show us their plumbing!

8 Skyangel Annie October 24, 2006 at 12:59 am

Yup, also had to wait for between 22-24 weeks for both my kids. I “knew” my first was a boy from the get-go, and the second was a girl and my instincts were also spot-on.
As for the third child being the “easiest”, my youngest sister is the third child and she definitely IS NOT!

9 Cakes October 24, 2006 at 1:12 am

Good update!
Are your cravings any different? That’s how I knew this last one was a girl. Plus, She was crazy busy and so was girl #1.
Can’t wait to find out!!

10 kris October 24, 2006 at 2:36 am

I’m thinking it’s another boy, too. So glad that everything is looking good.

11 jo(e) October 24, 2006 at 4:24 am

My third child was a wonderfully easy baby, who slept well and was no trouble at all. Just trying to support your theory.
Then again, I am a third child myself.
I never had any way to find out the gender of my children before they were born since I never did anything as high-tech as a sonogram. The only thing that bothered me about that is I had to go through the stress of choosing two names ….

12 Purple_Kangaroo October 25, 2006 at 10:53 am

Awww, isn’t it wonderful to see the baby on the ultrasound, and to know somebody is really in there, for real!?

13 Marla October 27, 2006 at 2:18 am

Hmmmm….I know what I’m thinking. But just to chime in, Josephine never showed us the money shot, so we were never 100% sure. The best the technician could give us was 80% surety. But I KNEW it was Josephine in there, not Hank.

14 bumaster L October 28, 2006 at 6:43 am

Man am I late on this… just wanted to say congratulations on the pregnancy numero 3. (I’m getting girl vibe but then again, I pretty out of date & across the continent now so what do I know?) I’ll keep my fingers crossed for docile.