‘sno joke, they’re calling for snow!

by DaniGirl on June 29, 2009 · 12 comments

in Life, the Universe and Everything

Is it me, or have the people down at the weather office taken to drinking in the afternoons? Or maybe in the mornings? I mean, I know weather forecasting is more art than science, and that there’s a reason they deal in probabilities. But seriously? They’ve been wrong more often than they’ve been right in the last month.

This one takes the cake, though. I was checking the forecast for Canada Day and the upcoming week this morning when I saw this:

snow joke!

That’s right, they’re calling for snow. On Canada Day.

I’m going to hope they’re wrong on this one. But maybe I should dig out my red and white scarf just in case?

P.S. Snow aside, isn’t that just about a perfect vacation-week forecast? Sigh. If I had even the least bit of confidence in their prognostication skills, I’d be annoyed.

1 smothermother June 29, 2009 at 7:33 am

This is my take on the “science” of weather forcasting.

2 Emma June 29, 2009 at 9:32 am

Just emailed my brother as he works for that company’s IT department to see if he was drunk when he worked on that. Or having a laugh. (probably, he has nothing to do with it, but still!!)

3 Emma June 29, 2009 at 9:38 am

Follow up – he’s already emailed me and mentioned some algorithm problem – he asked what city and so I hope Ottawa’s forecast will be fixed soon!

4 Jen June 29, 2009 at 9:43 am

Rain-snow mix and 22 degrees celsius? Ummm…obviously a mistake.

5 Amber June 29, 2009 at 11:57 am

The low is 15 degrees C! I think it’s time they laid off the liquid lunches down at the weather office.

My husband works in TV news in the graphics department. Since he started there my confidence in weather reports (which was never high) has gone way down. There’s a lot of guesswork involved, and sometimes he’s the one doing it. Not very confidence inspiring at all.

6 Madeleine June 29, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Time to change your weather info source. Try this, if you trust the gubmint. (I do.)

7 Ari June 29, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Ha ha, how funny! I wonder how many people noticed it!

8 J. June 30, 2009 at 5:28 am

no way! there must be a mistake πŸ˜›

9 ian June 30, 2009 at 10:44 am

With a low of 15c – that would be some miracle… I think someone has a very sick sense of humour – probably an american πŸ˜‰

10 Rebecca June 30, 2009 at 6:53 pm

We saw that too! um, no…don’t think so. lol

Agree with previous poster about weatheroffice.gc.ca we check it too. Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Also, how annoying is it to have a crap weak of predictions in weather and they have hardly been right each day?! I hope you are enjoying your time off anyway πŸ˜‰

11 Rev. Dr. Mom July 1, 2009 at 8:28 am

I hope it was a mistake…but when I lived in Vermont they always said that there is NO month in the year in which it hasn’t snowed at some point!

The weather here has been abominable all of June. Here’s to a warmer sunnier July!