Deathly Hallows – Almost half way

by DaniGirl on July 22, 2007 · 7 comments

in Books

I woke up yesterday morning just after 6:30 to a brilliant blue sky and two sleeping preschoolers, and when I went downstairs I could barely even finish making up a pot of coffee before I cracked open the copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that Beloved had picked up at 12:01 the night before. (I don’t think the Saturday paper has ever sat, unread and even un-leafed-though, for an entire day while I was home before. Usually, I read it cover-to-cover through the weekend.)

I’m almost half way though the book. I’m reading it more slowly than usual, trying hard to remember details I would ordinarily skim past. I’m finding the part where I am a little slow going, but the curiousity hook is deeply embedded, and I think I’ll be done by the end of today if not early tomorrow.

I’m in self-imposed media lockdown lest I stumble across a spoiler somewhere before I’m done. Beloved already risked death by telling me the chapter title of the last chapter, and I told him he was officially not allowed to speak of the book in any way or form until I’m done. We’ve got a book-sharing arrangement where the book is mine to read by daylight and he’s allowed to read it by lamplight. As long as my bookmark stays ahead of his, we’ll be fine.

Coffee’s finished brewing, time to get back to the book….

1 cinnamon gurl July 22, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Ok, I really must start reading Harry Potter. I’ve been meaning to for years but just never quite got around to it. Love your arrangement with your husband… I don’t think my husband and I have ever read the same book in the eight years we’ve been together.

2 Marla July 22, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Couldn’t sleep last night, so I read by my tiny book light. I’d doze off, and wake when the book fell on my chest with a clunk. So, I’m on p.306 today.
Um…are you finding it a little um…sloppy in places?

3 DaniGirl July 22, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Marla, yeah, sloppy. And I’m wondering when the hell we’ll get to the point, ya know? Six books worth of questions to be answered and memorable characters that I’ve come to love, and this is one tangent after another that don’t (yet?) seem to relate…

4 Batman July 22, 2007 at 6:35 pm

I’m toying with the idea of picking it up today at the bookstore. Once I do, I’ll have to find someplace to hide until I finish it.

5 Marla July 22, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Done. Let me know when you’ve crossed the finish line.
After we finish, shall we let others catch up and then set up a Campfire chat maybe?

6 DaniGirl July 23, 2007 at 12:09 pm

Done!
Phantom Scribbler has a great spoiler (note: SPOILER!!!) thread going on at her place, with more than 100 comments already:

7 Marla July 23, 2007 at 2:06 pm

That’s where I’ll be all morning then.