I could cry…

by DaniGirl on February 16, 2007 · 12 comments

in Working and mothering

Just got an e-mail from the woman I thought was “the one”, the ideal but expensive child care provider.

She changed her mind. She doesn’t want to reduce her rates from $40/day per boy. I simply can’t afford that kind of increase. Not only is it $120 to $150 more PER WEEK than I’m currently paying, but it’s $60 to $75 more per week than it would cost for a licensed home care or institutional daycare spot. That’s a hell of a lot of money.

I can’t stand that it’s become about the money, but I just don’t think I can swing it. If she had been okay with $70/day, we could have barely made it, but an extra $50/week out of my price range is a lot.

Isn’t it?

Crap, I just don’t know anymore.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Madeleine February 16, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Oh, no! So sorry, Dani. I hope you have a happy second choice among all those options you’ve been looking at.

2 Kim February 16, 2007 at 10:02 pm

We’re going through a little bit of the same right now, only with private school versus public school.
We’re just coming to the very painful decision that we simply can’t shoulder my daughter’s private school tuition any longer. We were thrilled to have
her accepted at her school, and it’s been a wonderful fit for her. She’s flourishing, and loves her teachers and her friends.
But the cost is crippling our family. It’s gone up almost $2000 a year each of the four years she’s been there! It was a stretch to begin with, and there have been other circumstances along the way the make it impossible to afford it anymore.
Even though we make fairly good money, we haven’t been able to take vacations, or even start saving for college! And we’re always– always!– saying to the kids, “No, I’m sorry honey– we can’t afford it.”
So I know exactly what you mean how you don’t want it to be about the money– that’s how I’ve always felt. We knew we would make sacrifices to have her there, but it’s to the point where the financial strain is affecting our marriage and our family life, and it’s just not worth it.
There are other options out there
Dani– just keep on looking. You’ll come up with something that was meant to be!

3 Andrea February 16, 2007 at 10:59 pm

I’m sorry, Dani.

4 Miche February 16, 2007 at 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear that Dani. I hope your Care Giver in Shining Armour appears Real Soon Like!

5 nancy February 17, 2007 at 12:58 am

Everything happens for a reason…just you wait and see…
At least that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

6 Marla February 17, 2007 at 1:39 am

Bummer, Dani.

7 Susan February 17, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Have to de-lurk to comment on your daycare dilemma. $80.00/DAY??? Yes, that seems excessive. I had my kids in a daycare centre for 3 years (the younger, 2 for the older) and if you can swing it financially, I would highly recommend this route over home providers. Yes, you pay–but there is security that they’re not just going discontinue you and they can’t overload on kids. The care my boys got was excellent. They are both in homecare now because they are in school (grade 2 and SK). Daycare sucks, no matter what form. I’ll be very glad when this school year is over and I am only dependent on before and after school care. Good luck with your search.

8 Shan February 18, 2007 at 6:11 am

I’m sorry to hear this Dani. I’m hoping you find the right fit for your family soon.

9 BeachMama February 18, 2007 at 6:43 pm

Sorry to hear it isn’t going to work out Dani. I was hopeful for you that you had found ‘the one’.

10 yvonne February 19, 2007 at 1:45 pm

For one child alone (my youngest) we pay $750 a month and that gets us care from 9 – 3:30 each day, no snacks. Daycare costs are crippling but, in our area for a 2 year old $40 per day is not unheard of. I hate to say it but, have you considered moving just your youngest? You eldest can handle groups of kids better (he can do it at school) and is gone for part of the day. It is your 2 year old that I would be concerned with more. Unfortunately, it means two drop offs. I am doing it now though – it is not impossible.

11 yvonne February 19, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Have you gotten yourself on the waiting list for care at the school? At our school it is $29 for Tristan’s current age, down to $19 a day when he is in grade one. Having said that, you HAVE to commit for the summer. You will lose your place otherwise. Something to consider….

12 meg February 20, 2007 at 12:32 am

Don’t forget you get 20% back through your taxes….I know it’s not much but saying that always makes me feel better. We pay $810.00 per month for 1/2 day care for our 5 year old and after school care for our 7 year old. It also covers all pd days and summer care. It’s also very high quality non-profit and licenced and in the school. Next year there will be a break since our little one will go to grade 1. Phew! We have been paying a 2nd mortgage for 2 years!

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: