Send paper towels and carpet cleaner!

by DaniGirl on August 26, 2007 · 13 comments

in Mothering without a licence

After struggling for more than a month trying to encourage Simon to use the potty with bribes of various sorts, potty training was still not really progressing. He’s only pooped once on the potty, just this past week, and it’s becoming a bit of a power struggle. He simply doesn’t want to give up the convenience and comfort (?) of his diaper, Queen Amidala or no.

It’s time to fish or cut bait. This morning, it’s all underwear all the time. I figured he’s fastidious enough that the leaking and mess alone would be all the encouragement he needed. It worked for Tristan, and Simon’s plenty old enough at three and a half.

It’s not quite 9 am and we’re on our third pair of underwear. I’ve given up on shorts entirely. Send cleaning supplies and fresh tighty-whities, please!

He’s peed in the potty at least five times today, and still leaked three times. I can’t figure out how to encourage him to empty his bladder, instead of just appeasing me with a little squirt into the potty. He’s going to be in a sugar coma if I keep giving him jujubes (or as Simon calls them, ju ju beans) every time he goes in the potty at this rate.

I’m off to Walmart for more disposable underwear. Any thoughts or advice?

1 Susan August 26, 2007 at 9:05 am

Keep doing what you’re doing–and send him outside (the grass will recover…) in the backyard and even put the potty out there with him. Good luck!

2 Ingrid August 26, 2007 at 9:30 am

STick with it – it will work! And it is better now than in the midst of winter.
When we followed this plan with Damian, it was wet underwear for the first day all day, day 2 had some success, day 3 was all wet underwear, and after that it was clear sailing.
Also, I felt that real undewear was better than the disposables since they really felt wet – and therefore more uncomfortable.

Good luck!

3 SC August 26, 2007 at 10:25 am

hey Dani…. I’ve heard other mothers talk about the ‘sink the Cheerio’ game for potty training. If you drop a few cheerios in the toliet and get him aim at them when he’s peeing… he may think it’s fun and actively want to start peeing in the potty.

Good luck… !

4 colleen August 26, 2007 at 3:38 pm

My son had the same problem with “dribbling”. Turned out to be a medical thing where the valve ( which is a muscle) between the bladder and kidney was not mature.This meant that his bladder never felt full so he never really “had” to go. By the time he was 4 years old, everything worked fine. I must say he did not like wearing diapers as none of his peers did…so Simon is probably just lazy and not particularly motivated at this time. Good luck!

5 Susan August 26, 2007 at 7:59 pm

As someone whose child took 2 and a half years to get through potty training, I mostly wish you patience and good luck!

6 Christine August 26, 2007 at 8:42 pm

I love your blog and just wanted to offer some support. I was frustrated with my 3.5yo boy repeatedly wetting or soiling his undies. He is a bright, funny, and caring boy who is plenty capable and aware of how and why we use the potty and although things initially work (jelly beans, star chart etc) he usually tires of it and reverts back. At the moment we have his potty in his playroom (so he can see TV…gasp), yet another star chart (with velcro Suns for No 1s and Stars for No 2s) and his favorite book of the moment to encourage him to stay on the potty longer than the 5 seconds he’s usually on there. Over the past 3 days we have put 11 Suns (12 and he gets a surprise) on the chart (we’ll work on Stars another time)…too early to call it a success but the battle of wills is over for now.

7 MamaLee August 27, 2007 at 6:04 am

I feel your pain. My son, who is now 5, really struggled when he was potty training. I think the main thing is too keep consistent. The messy pants are a hassle, for sure, but I think he’ll also get tired of being a mess. Hopefully before he’s 30, because, after all he’s male.

Sorry, that wasn’t helpful! lol

I’m on my 3rd potty trainer here, and she will be turning 3 next week. It can be a LONG road – my son took FOREVER to get it, but my first daughter was fast. Again, be consistent in everything you are doing – and know that your instincts are the right ones. And I’ll send you some more butt wipes.

8 Cait August 27, 2007 at 7:57 am

I remember when my little cousin was potty training. At one point, whe the whole family was over for dinner, she excused herself from the table, and then returned about 10 minutes later bearing her VERY full potty (seriously, it’s like they were feading her prunes or something), which she proceeded to proudly carry around the dinner table to show us all.
So if it’s any consolation, at least you can still enjoy your meals poo-free!

9 Sharon August 27, 2007 at 9:25 am

Well if you can figure out Simon’s potty training then can you let me know how to keep them dry at night. Nathan’s still hit and miss. Dry 3 out 7 nights but wet the rest. SIGH. I can’t even wake him up at night to try to pee. I carryhim and he stands there asleep. SIGH.

10 Barbara August 27, 2007 at 9:33 am

I have no real sense of personal space/privacy and so this worked for me. Every time I went to the bathroom, I took Reid. I read at least two books while she sat on her potty (it’s easier since girls sit but you could stand behind him and hold the book out front, maybe) so that she spent the required time in the appropriate position. A friend of mine set her watch alarm to remind her son to go – first every half hour and then when the accidents had stopped, she stretched it out to progressively longer times. Maybe the alarm plus an egg timer to ensure adequate time in front of the toilet would work. It wouldn’t be you saying it – it would be the watch.

On the other hand, maybe you could just hang tight until preschool starts. I bet they go in clusters and the business-like of the teachers plus the modelling of the other kids will likely get him in the right place. At least there ;+)

Good luck.

11 nancy August 27, 2007 at 11:15 am

I have to ideas.

(1) stick with it for the famous 10 days
or
(2) go back to diapers/pull ups, wait 3 months and try again. Maybe his body just isn’t ready yet? Not uncommon.

Big help, right?

12 Janice August 31, 2007 at 8:05 am

Put a piece of toilet paper in the bowl and play sink the ship?