Viruses = bad; Girl Guide cookies = good

by DaniGirl on April 19, 2005 · 11 comments

Poor Simon. We’re on day four of a barforama. He couldn’t even keep down water at more than one point in the past very long few days. As if barfing every couple of hours and a fever and the squirts weren’t enough to score the misery trifecta, he’s got a tremendously green snotty nose.

So we went to the ped this morning, and he says, “Yep, there’s a nasty head-cold stomach-flu virus going around.” Back the truck up. A head-cold stomach flu COMBO virus? Now that’s just not fair. But it gets worse. You see, I’ve been at this parenting thing for a couple-a three years now, and I at least know the rhythms of a stomach flu.

“But,” I protest, “this has been going on for about four days now.” Yeah, apparently this stomach flu (don’t forget the combo with the head-cold) lasts five to ten days. Shoot me now.

As I said, poor Simon. He’s understandably miserable. He now howls in protest when he sees saltines (the only solid we offered him on Sunday) and has lost what little affection he had for rice cakes and dry toast. He will barely let us put him down, doesn’t want to sleep but feels too awful to stay awake. Did I mention it’s been a long couple of days?

On a more cheerful note, we did at least manage to get out of the house for a while yesterday. What else are you going to do with a sick baby who hasn’t eaten in three days except take him for a walk in the stroller? We were quite a distance from the house when I spied a woman walking with her daughter. The mom was carrying a big crate of Girl Guide cookies, and they were obviously making the rounds of the neighbours. Suddenly jonesing for a Girl Guide cookie worse than I have craved any food while not pregnant, I searched my pockets. And of course, I had nothing. So I called over a hello as we came abreast of them anyway, and told her if she were to make it down to my address, I could guarantee her the sale of at least a box or two. As I walked away, I ruminated on how pathetic it is to grub for GG cookies on the street from total strangers.
And bless their hearts, they did make it all the way over to my house (a good couple of blocks away) and we got our cookies after all. And damn, they were good.

1 Snack Mommy April 19, 2005 at 6:12 pm

Yikes! I didn’t know Simon was having such a rough go of it. Poor little boo. I was having a pity party over here when T had to skip preschool over our first legitimate cold. Pity party officially over, my priorities are now straight!
Get well soon little man!

2 Snack Mommy April 19, 2005 at 6:13 pm

PS….you are also forgiven for making me wait so long to read your blog this morning. But that’s it! Never again missy!

3 SilverCreek Mom April 19, 2005 at 6:42 pm

I love GG cookies and my nice is now selling them so I have a good suppiler.
I’m sooo sorry to hear that Simon has a bad virus/cold thingy. Gosh I hate it when they are that sick.
Hugs to you both.

4 Batman April 19, 2005 at 9:22 pm

Sorry to hear about Simon. HCSF – Yikes!! I feel for you (little) man.
So from what I’m reading, you only bought one box of cookies!? As a connoisseur of cookies, I am disappointed at your utter lack of judgment. I believe part three of the cookie code of ethics specifically states that no less than four (4) boxes of girl guide cookies shall be purchased at any one time. When faced with the opportunity to purchase these fine cookies, my personal preference is to buy two chocolate and two regular. I’m going to let this one slide given Simon’s HCSF. The Guild of Cookie Connoisseurs (in association with the Keebler Elves) will be monitoring your future performance in this regard.
Yours truly,
The Cookie Monster
p.s. Did I ever mention how much I love cookies?

5 nikki April 19, 2005 at 9:37 pm

i live in ottawa, and after three nasty go-rounds with viruses this winter (with a 15-month old), i live in fear of the HCSF virus you are describing! ugh! thankfully the girl guides were in my neighbourhood too, and we purchased 4 boxes. the only problem is that my hubby and i both loves the vanilla, so we have 4 boxes with nearly complete chocolate rows left.

6 nancy April 20, 2005 at 12:36 am

I so hope little Simon is well on his way to recovery – I am all too familiar with multi-day barf-fests and don’t wish them on anyone. So hard on everyone…thinking of you.
As for the GG cookies – I know the neighbourhood girl who sells them every year and pre-order from her! We had 3 boxes and before we knew it *poof* were gone – so sad. And like Nikki, more fond of vanilla so the chocolate take longer to disappear…and now having to battle for the vanillas with the kids – ack!
Hop you get some much needed rest soon!
xo

7 Robin April 20, 2005 at 1:55 pm

Count me in for people so sorry to hear that Simon is sick. I sure hope he is over it soon. And you guys don’t eat all the cookies from him. 😉
Okay, I have to admit something. I will not be buying any cookies. Not because I don’t like cookies or anything silly like that. The reason is because I need more variety. Like I use to get at home. (US citizen here) We have Girl Scout cookies. And they have about 6 or 7 different cookies to choose from. My favorites are the thin mints. So good….

8 Ktcakes! April 20, 2005 at 2:47 pm

What?!?! You don’t have Thin Mints up there?!?! Why even go on…
I’m so sorry about Simon..We went through this same virus, though for us it was followed up by pink eye, a bacterial ear infection, and then strep throat. Soooooo glad it’s spring. The last 8 weeks were hell!
sooo, what cookies do you have? Samoas? Tagalongs? What ?!

9 nancy April 20, 2005 at 3:51 pm

You can get the thin mints from the Girl Guides here (in Canada) at Christmas time…they are very good!
Robin – you are SPOILED!! 😉

10 Danigirl April 20, 2005 at 5:21 pm

It never fails to amaze me what catches your fancy, darling blog readers!
We took the last two boxes this particular girl guide was burdened with, but since the first box didn’t last 12 hours, I think we might need reinforcements. I will gladly take one for the team and volunteer to safely dispose of *all* your unwanted choco GG cookies, dear friends.
About the mint ones… when my dealer opened her crate and I saw they were “real” GG cookies (the choco/vanilla combo box), I expressed my pleasure that they were the real ones and she laughed and said everyone had said the same thing. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing?
And Kate – virus plus pinkeye plus ear infection plus strep? Yikes! Hats off to you, and here’s the antibacterial wipes to use on your screen before the next time you drop by.
xo Danigirl, wiping crumbs off the keyboard

11 Danigirl April 20, 2005 at 5:22 pm

PS We seem to have turned the corner *touch wood* on Simon’s virus from hell, and I’m back at work today. Keep your fingers crossed for us!