Let’s go to the movies!

by DaniGirl on April 11, 2005 · 8 comments

Ann over at The Mother of All Blogs has asked for our nominees on the best and worst of film parents. After puzzling until my puzzler was sore, and then puzzling some more, here’s my contribution. I have been diligently not reading some of my favourite blogs this weekend so as to not prejudice my choices, so I hope there are no repeats.

Best movie dad: Marlin from Finding Nemo. He’s a little neurotic, but he’s tenacious and he’ll turn the ocean inside out to find his son, and in the end he learns that letting go is as important as holding tight. How can you not love him?

Best movie mom: this one was by far the most difficult category for me, but I finally settled a tie between Cher in the 1985 movie Mask and the wonderful mother from A Christmas Story. I haven’t seen Mask since it came out in theatres (and I was only about 15 at the time) but I remember her as an unconventional mom doing the best she can in rough circumstances. And the mom from A Christmas Story because I still think of her to this day when I am dealing with my fussy eaters and cupboard-hiders. And (sorry to belabour this – told you I had a hard time deciding) I also have to give honourable mention to the mother in E.T. for demonstrating that love means you just go with the flow sometimes, even if it’s a little out of your realm of experience.

Meanest movie dad: another tie (call me indecisive) between the father of Neil Perry in Dead Poets Society and Jack Torrence in The Shining. The former broke my heart and the latter scared the bejezus out of me when I was a kid. “Heeeeeeeeeeere’s JACK!”

Meanest movie mom: had to go with the evil stepmother from Cinderella on this one. Honourable mention goes to Anne Bancroft in The Graduate. I used to be all “how could you?” until I started to creep toward a certain age and began relating more to the mother than the daughter…

Most nauseating movie dad: I couldn’t come up with one, but when I asked Beloved for his opinion, he didn’t miss a beat before nominating Richard Dreyfuss’ character in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I feel a little disloyal nominating this film, as it’s one of my all-time faves, but Beloved surprised me with the depth of his emotion as he went on about how Roy Neary completely abdicates responsibility to his wife and his kids when he becomes obsessed with the aliens.

Most nauseating movie mom: Scarlett O’Hara from Gone With the Wind. Just about everything Scarlett does irriates me, so this was a pretty easy choice.

And finally…
Character who most reminds me of myself: Indiana Jones from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I know, I know, you were thinking the same thing, right? Okay, for real, the answer to this question is more like an amalgam of every character Drew Barrymore ever played, with a little bit of Ally Sheedy’s character from The Breakfast Club thrown in to the mix.

What do you think?

Categories:

1 SilverCreek Mom April 11, 2005 at 1:52 pm

Good Choices Dani. I haven’t seen some of those movies but I had to get my dd to help me with this. LOL!

2 Snack Mommy April 11, 2005 at 2:25 pm

Oooooh, great choices Dani. I can’t add any other movies as I spent the whole post trying to figure out how I could fit my favourite movie Legends of the Fall in there….couldn’t swing it…damn!
I adore Marlin, but I’m also a little scared of becoming his female counterpart :~)
Great Topic!

3 Chezjosee April 11, 2005 at 7:56 pm

Gee,
You’d think that having worked at Blockbuster that I would be able to answer some of these…not likely. I’m just not a big movie person….
Barb

4 Nancy April 12, 2005 at 1:46 am

I can’t think of any…wanna sk my Dad and brother who are both huge movie buffs…one day. Would be fun to try to win the contest on Ann’s blog though! I did email her as volunteer to be interviewed but I think I was too late since I never heard from her

5 Ktcakes! April 12, 2005 at 2:40 am

Hey Danigirl!! How’s Tristan feeling? cool blog. your fellow ex-pregnant mama, here.
Best movie dad for me is always the dad in “Billy Elliot” Sure sure, he’s oppressive in the beginning but he’s got alot on his plate! but my all time favorite movie moment is the look on the dad’s face at the end of the movie when Billy hits the stage…I’m going to have to go watch it now!
Meanest movie dad. Hellooo!!! DARTH VADER!
totally agree with your best mom picks. Just saw “Saved” last night. That mom was pretty cool too.
Meanest mom has to be Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest.
Nauseating Dad for me was Kramer vs Kramer. yuck! yuck! yuck! am I heartless? possibly.
I’ve always thought of you more as a Lara Croft Tomb Raider than an Indiana Jones
Character that reminds me of me. hmmmm….she’d have to be hot, of course…so Julia Roberts as the reformed prostitute is out…she’d have to witty in a nonchalant kind of way, so Demi Moore in Ghost just isn’t cutting it…a little quirky in an unpredictable fun kind of way but not like a Desperately Seeking Susan kind of way, that’s too much…I am feeling rather Elastigirly lately, but that’s not quite right either. huh. I’ll have to give it more thought.

6 Batman April 12, 2005 at 4:10 am

Whew! Tough questions. I thought about these all day. I think the toughest though was the one about Character who reminds me of me. Okay, here goes…
Best Dad: honourable mention should go to Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando. C’mon – his daughter gets kidnapped and he single-handedly wipes out an entire army to save her. How cool is that? Buddy Ebsen as Jed Clampett would be another runner up in my book. He’s very understanding but lets the kinfolk make their own choices (right or wrong).
Best Mom: honourable mention to Linda Hamilton in Terminator (the Arny theme was a coincidence). She helped save humanity after all. If that isn’t worthy of being runner up for the best mom, I don’t know what is.
Meanest dad: another runner up…Al Pacino in Devil’s Advocate. He was Keanu Reeves father. He wasn’t that mean but he is the Devil. Say no more.
Meanest mom and most nauseating parents – I’ll concede to your picks. I couldn’t think of anything traumatising.
Who reminds me of me? Hmmmmm. Personally I like to think of myself as a mix of Sam Balwin from Sleepless in Seattle and Jed Clampett. A little bit country and a little bit rock and roll. Awwwww.

7 Danigirl April 12, 2005 at 1:49 pm

Hey Kate!! I’m so glad you dropped by! Doh – I should have thought of Lara Croft. Guess my 1980s upbringing is showing and I’m not as hip as I think I am! šŸ˜‰ You make me laugh, please feel free to drop by and class the place up anytime.
Batman, you’re such a guy – and of course I say that with affection. Note to self: blog for another day = girls think good parenting is emotional nurturing / guys think good parenting is saving humanity.
xo Danigirl, laughing

8 Ann D April 18, 2005 at 5:05 am

Nancy — Just spotted your comment. I suspect your e-mail must have been eaten by my SPAM filter or lost en route because I didn’t receive it. If you want to e-mail me again, I have something else I may be able to interview you for. Sorry the cybergremlins prevented us from communicating. I’m obsessive about answering my e-mail. If I don’t reply, it almost always means I didn’t get it.