In like a polar bear

by DaniGirl on March 1, 2005 · 7 comments

This is a Canadian blog, and I think I’ve almost surpassed the statute of limitations of having an ongoing dialogue without mentioning the weather. They’ll ban me from Timmy’s if I don’t get around to discussing it soon. Is it just me, or has winter been interminable this year?

According to Wiarton Willie, we’re due for an early spring. You’d never know it by my commute to work this morning. Fat sticky snow flakes, blustery winds, accumulations around 10 to 15 cm. Blech! At least it’s a good deal less than the 30 cm they were originally forecasting.

It’s a good thing we aren’t in Moscow. Apparently the mayor of Moscow gets a little testy when the weather forecasts are anything less than 100% accurate – and he’s proposing that the weather service gets fined every time it gets a forecast wrong. Not only that, but if he doesn’t like the forecast, he’s been known to take matters into his own hands by seeding the clouds with dry ice and liquid nitrogen, “causing them to unleash their loads of moisture before reaching Moscow, often bringing torrential downpours to the hapless suburbs, while the city basks in sunshine.”

And you call me a control freak!

Categories:

1 Shelley March 1, 2005 at 2:02 pm

The radio this morning said we could get ANOTHER 10 to 20 cm before this snowfall is over. LIke, 10 to 20 cm MORE. It is very, very wearying.

2 UberGeek March 1, 2005 at 3:04 pm

oh come on the snow is not that bad… with snow comes cold. With cold comes ice. With ice comes hockey! With Hockey comes 6:30 am practices on Saturday morning.
uhh never mind snow sucks

3 Ann D March 1, 2005 at 4:34 pm

I thought for sure today was going to be a snow day. We have more snow today than we’ve had on all the days that *were* snow days. I don’t understand snow days. Is there some scientific criteria used to declare a certain day a snow day, or do the powers that be in a certain geographic region simply say roll the dice and shout, “Snow day.” I think I need to blog about this.

4 Jen March 1, 2005 at 6:43 pm

It’s hideous. And the new reporters don’t help. You would think we were in the midst of the absolute storm of the century given the hysterics of the reporters this morning. I’ve also noticed that they seem to be showing a lot of stock footage of what could have happened (but didn’t) but when you just catch a glimpse of the news you think “my god it’s piled up to the roof”. I think that Moscow mayor has some good ideas.

5 Dida's Mom March 1, 2005 at 9:05 pm

Hey Danigirl
Had to comment on the pictures of your baby….WHAT A CUTIE! I hear you about the mess. Never clean here either. I have so enjoyed reading your blogs. And I have agree with you view of allthis snow. Early spring can’t be here soon of enough. Even if it brings the Black flies, mesquitos and west NILE! But event hat is better than the cold the boots and snowpants and mitts we have to load the kids into right now.
Your wit and view of the world is Quite charming. Keep on blogging!!!
Dida’s mom ๐Ÿ˜‰

6 Kim March 2, 2005 at 2:42 am

I just love reading a blog post that mentions, Timmy’s, Wiarton Willie and snow all in one post! Nothing like great Canadian content!

7 Danigirl March 2, 2005 at 1:22 pm

LOL, nothing gets Canadians talking like weather! Hope you all managed to dig out this morning… the finally tally was a little less than 15 cm here in the capital.
Whatever happened to snow days anyway? The last one I remember was when I was about 12 years old and living in London, Ont.
Kim, thanks for the nod to my CanCon. Means a lot coming from the you, Queen of the Canadian Blog! ๐Ÿ˜‰
xo Danigirl