Potty denial

by DaniGirl on February 24, 2005 · 7 comments

My son will never forgive me for this. I am about to open a discussion of his potty habits on the Internet. I’m sorry Tristan, I truly am.

I’ve been doing my best to avoid the whole potty-training angst thing. Yes, I know he will probably have his bladder well under control by the time he heads off to college. And yet, despite my best efforts to the contrary, I find myself succumbing to potty peer pressure by proxy. His little girl playmates have long since made the move to underwear, and even most of his little boy playmates can now write their names in the snow or at least play a good game of “shoot the Cheerios in the bowl.” (No, not that kind of bowl. Ewwww!) It’s not like he hasn’t used the potty yet – he’s even managed the oft-elusive poop in the potty on more than one occasion. But we are nowhere near moving to pull-ups and (imagine the day!) regular underwear.

Truth be told, I’m afraid parental denial over the whole potty thing is what has derailed us. I’m beginning to suspect that Tristan has long been ready to make the transition, but lacking any real guidance from management he has been content with the status quo. It falls upon our shoulders, Beloved and I, to take the lead and hurl us forward into life beyond diapers.

It’s just that a world without diapers is so – so – so dreadfully messy and inconvenient. On top of having to remember to feed the boys and dress them and not leave them behind when we go places, now we have to remember to ask every half hour or so if Tristan needs to go (let alone having to trust his judgement.) The punishment for not remembering to ask is pretty effective, granted, but I know me, and I am nothing if not forgetful. Before it gets better it must get messy, and even after all these years, I still have not gotten over my aversion to bodily fluids, especially when not neatly contained by several layers of plastic and absorbent paper.

Do you think if I just ignored the whole thing he will eventually train himself? If I just wait him out, surely one day Tristan will wander into the bathroom, discard his diaper, hop up on the toilet seat and VOILA be trained. Just like that! Don’t laugh, it could happen. (pouting) It could!

Categories:

1 Lini February 24, 2005 at 1:18 pm

Oh Dani,
My thoughts exactly. They will eventually learn on their own, right? Diapers seem so much easier to me it is a wonder why everyone pushes their kids to be potty trained so early. Like you, I know the delay is me not my brilliant advanced ready to be a big kid kid. Darn all those Mom’s in my neighborhood who have shown me up already. I am so not ready to add another responsiblity to my list of things not to forget.
Lini

2 Snack Mommy February 24, 2005 at 2:39 pm

Don’t worry Dani, you still have a crutch. Remember, my 3 yr old is still in a crib, and I think that was your last bastion you were hanging on to was it not? Oh wait, we’re ditching the crib in the near future….better get on that potty thing lady!
Seriously, with Tristan’s advanced communication skills, I think it will be a snap. They really do have bladders like camels. After the first few anxious underwear clad bum trips out of the house (that will indeed make you sweat buckets), you will be amazed at how good they are at going when they need to.
Besides, neccesity is the mother of invention….case in point, my handy Dasani bottle as we taxi’d into O’Hare a few weeks ago.

3 twinmomplusone February 24, 2005 at 3:39 pm

that’s right Dani, so hard to leave that comfort of the known zone and enter this new world of having to remember to make them go before leaving, extra pair of clothes to bring along just in case, become an expert bathroom locator and yes, sweating buckets for the first diaperless outings. But like snackmommy said, you’ll be amazed at how long their bladders can hold it PLUS from my perspective, boys have a definite anatomical advantage over girls…they can do it anywhere more easily, even a Dasani bottle!!
glad to have found you here Dani!

4 Suzanne February 24, 2005 at 5:56 pm

Oh, this rings true for me, too. We are in this gray area between potty use and aversion. Sometimes my son wants to use the potty, and other times you’d think I had suggested we toss all his toys in the trash. Now that he’s almost 3, I’m feeling some distinct pressure from outside forces (mom and mom-in-law) to move things along. Diapers really are so much easier…

5 Danigirl February 24, 2005 at 6:35 pm

Ooo, look, the gang’s all here!
Lini and Suzanne, I’m so glad I’m not the only one who really thinks diapers are easier. Heck, when I was pg I wanted to wear them myself. Talk about convenient! 😉
2+1mom, thanks for the reminder about packing an extra set of clothes. Can you believe that hadn’t occurred to me yet? Crap, half my kids’ wardrobes are going to be ‘stashed’ somewhere as backup – in the car, the diaper bag, the sitter’s…
SM, I’m howling @ the image of your son relieving himself in a Dasani bottle in an airplane. No, let me correct that, I’m howling at the look that must have been on the face of the childless older gentleman seated three seats over… LOVE IT!
xo Danigirl

6 Nancy February 24, 2005 at 7:35 pm

After reading today’s entry – my one thought was to comment..
DITTO
Nancy 🙁
also stuck in potty training limbo

7 gambling June 10, 2005 at 1:36 pm

Please check some helpful info in the field of roulette roulette http://www.epraha.info/roulette.html